Father of LSD turns 100!

Chalnoth said:
From what I understand, flashbacks occur because the drug remains within the fat cells pretty much indefinitely. So flashbacks would seem to be more likely to occur in situations where you're burning a lot of fat, such as during some physical exertion when you have been out of shape for a long time.
Umm, no. At leas the Wikipedia article on LSD strongly suggests that no LSD actually remains in your body (it is water-soluble) for more than a few hours. The flashbacks appear to be a more psychological phenomenon brought on by the sheer intensity of the LSD experience; people who haven't taken LSD but suffered traumatic events of high intensity (rape, shell-shock, that sort of stuff) often have to live through flashbacks of a similar kind.

arjan de lumens said:
Umm, no. At leas the Wikipedia article on LSD strongly suggests that no LSD actually remains in your body (it is water-soluble) for more than a few hours. The flashbacks appear to be a more psychological phenomenon brought on by the sheer intensity of the LSD experience; people who haven't taken LSD but suffered traumatic events of high intensity (rape, shell-shock, that sort of stuff) often have to live through flashbacks of a similar kind.
Actually, that does make sense to me. Though I find it somewhat more likely that it would be caused by damage to the brain during the original experience.

Chalnoth said:
Actually, that does make sense to me. Though I find it somewhat more likely that it would be caused by damage to the brain during the original experience.
More like shock to the psyche, the stuff is weird man!

From personal experience I've always felt that what it did was light-up the conscious and subconscious mind at the same time, which is not a very normal state of affairs.

A neat one though, reality feels very dreamy....but that's the big dangerous part. :???:

LSD removes "frames of reference" for interpreting reality. In so doing it opens us up to awareness outside the paradigms of our prior experience. The "epiphany" factor of LSD comes from exactly this: we see things from very differnt perspectives than ever before.

It's no coincidence that the 90? winner of the Nobel in Physics attributed his insights to LSD. I haven't touch the stuff in years but have no regrets for doing so years ago. Definitely dangerous but definitely insightful.

Comparing LSD to MDMA (extasy) is like comparing Plato to Siskel and Ebert.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never tried X, but I did spend a happy year tripping. :)

I just wish I could remember exactly which year it was though, things are a tad blurry for me in that particular decade. :???:

Chalnoth said:
Which is not to say it isn't caused by the experience rather than the drug, if the experience is traumatic enough the brain will rewire itself.

digitalwanderer said:
I never tried X, but I did spend a happy year tripping. :)

I just wish I could remember exactly which year it was though, things are a tad blurry for me in that particular decade. :???:

I never once saw a hallucination or anything. Everything was just more colorfull, sounds more "explained". My senses just opened wide up for me.

I haven't touched it in years, but I had some great times with it. Never once had a flashback. I've touched some good quality too during that time period.

the maddman said:
When I was a kid in elementry school, we had a anti-drug speaker come to talk to us that had a LSD flashback right there at the front of the auditorium. The took him off stage for a while, and when he came back, he explained a bit about what happened, and how he doesn't trust himself to drive anymore.

Probably the most honest speaker we ever had, his message was more "Doing drugs has consequences" and not "Drugs are EVIL!"
Heh, I'll bet that was scripted. ;)

Back