Ever fire someone?

I support Epic wholeheartedly. I see no reason why an employer shouldnt be able to fire at any moment any employee based on their behaviour at work.

He even asked her to go home, and come back the next day. I wouldn't call that "provoking a confrontation"

RussSchultz said:
He even asked her to go home, and come back the next day. I wouldn't call that "provoking a confrontation"
Yep, i told to take the rest of the night off and come back the next day. Had she not started giving an attitude problem, about how she was right and i was wrong, she would not have been let go. This is what she did: She was told to clean 5 rooms and come back to the office to get the next five and so we could see how quickly she cleaned the 5 original rooms. What she did was take her list of 5 rooms, clean those, than instead of going to the office, she starts going into the rest of the rooms in the motel. She had no idea what rooms are rented or not, she just lets herself in and strips the rooms. I had 2 customers complain that she barged in on them. She had no explanation as to why she did what she did, other than to say she had worked for X years and knew more then me.

epicstruggle said:
Yep, i told to take the rest of the night off and come back the next day. Had she not started giving an attitude problem, about how she was right and i was wrong, she would not have been let go. This is what she did: She was told to clean 5 rooms and come back to the office to get the next five and so we could see how quickly she cleaned the 5 original rooms. What she did was take her list of 5 rooms, clean those, than instead of going to the office, she starts going into the rest of the rooms in the motel. She had no idea what rooms are rented or not, she just lets herself in and strips the rooms. I had 2 customers complain that she barged in on them. She had no explanation as to why she did what she did, other than to say she had worked for X years and knew more then me.

clearly she is a burdern and not an asset to your business. employment is, in most cases, a business relationship and not a personal one. You cannot expect to cost the business money and keep your job.

epicstruggle said:

TBH, i understand you. i would prolly do the same if i were you. and i know how fucked up it is to do that. my situation was different, but still.... out of 3 people that were in my business when it started i am only one remaining (prolly cause its MY business).
my problem was that it was not only business, but friendly relation that got screwed.

but damnit, if someone doesnt wanna put effort in his work then i am not going to lose what i worked for for last few years cause of him....

so.....it sucked.... it wasnt as abrupt as your case, it took some time of fighting and yelling before i parted with second guy.... first one left long ago after he fucked up running everything (not like he had mage-corp to run:rolleyes:) while i was in the army....

oh well.... i manage now with completlly different business model and things are getting better.... if only economy here worked.... but thats another story....

from what you said, you did the right thing....

Neeyik said:
It's almost amusing reading the heated replies from people, supporting the sacked employee. Why amusing? Because I would bet money that were their roles reversed, and it was their business with employees not pulling their weight, they would let them go too.

There's two sides to every story, and seeing as cleaner is not here to tell hers, I see no reason to automatically laud epic's look at me I'm firing people post. Especially considering his many posts that convey his family business inherited world view as somewhere to the right of satan. So she 'talked back'. Imagine that after apparently working there for several years.

Florin said:
There's two sides to every story, and seeing as cleaner is not here to tell hers, I see no reason to automatically laud epic's look at me I'm firing people post.
And yet you're willing to criticise and insult Epic, even though both sides of the story aren't here.

epicstruggle said:

Most employers would've done the same thing you did. At least you expressed regret/remorse or having to fire her, so it doesn't strike me as something done callously.

Neeyik said:
And yet you're willing to criticise and insult Epic, even though both sides of the story aren't here.

Just like you were quick to retort that if I were epic I would/should've done the same.

I simply point out that he fired someone who is old, and that it's remarkable that you can go and buy a business, and somehow get the employees to sign a document saying they can be dropped without cause. I believe I might well be more compassionate.

Here's what I recommend.

Establish a MPR standard. Make a friendly constent out of it. Post everyones MPR scores on a weekly basis. At the end of the month whoever has the lowest MPR with a passing average quality score, gets a prize. A $50 gift card for Wal-Mart or K-Mart usually go over well.

Make sure when you assign rooms, give each housekeeper at least 12 -16 rooms. Any less and your setting up your property to have ineffcient labor costs.

First thing your laundry person should do when they start work is get a list of dirty vacant rooms from the front desk, then go strip those rooms.

At the top of ever hour you or a head housekeeper needs to go and inspect rooms. When you find something wrong bring the housekeeper back into the room and have them correct the issue.

Make sure you give praise for when things are done well.

Establish a 10 minute break time and an area for it for once 2.5 hours have passed after the start of the work day. You have to have a smoke break be available. The next break after this should be lunch.

Make sure at the end of the day housekeepers don't go home until the cart they were using are fully stocked and ready to go for the next day. Otherwise when the next day starts housekeepers are screwing around trying to figure out what they need, and since they might have not used the cart the previous day, this can be a time very time consumming process.

Back