Epic Mickey - A Mouse To Atone For The World He's Wrought

warcrow

Regular
Not even an official thread to chat about this polarizing game? For shame! I've played the game for a few hours and figured I'd share my initial thoughts with everyone.

So far, overall, I'm impressed. I think Spector and his team have done an amazing job at achieving a very high level of authenticity, especially in regards to Disney's history. The stuff that they show you in the beginning references old, classic Mickey stuff that frankly only a fan would probably appreciate--so at its heart it really made for the Disney geeks.

The music is, like, sublimely Disney-perfect. It's the kind you expect to find complimenting a full Disney movie production. The animations run smoothly, are colorfully expressive (per se) and the graphical fidelity is higher than I anticipated. At one point in the game I just had to pan the camera around to get a better view at this old beat up computer console that was hop'n about. The buttons and levers were wiggle'n and jiggle'n around to the dreamy Disney score--I couldn't help but smile. That kind of attention to detail so far is everywhere in the game.

On the darker side of things it's mostly true what you've heard about the camera. It sometimes sits tilted slightly in the wrong perspective and usually requires some babysitting. Centering it is like most 3rd person games, a double-tap of a button (C on the nun chuck) centers it. There is a lock-on feature too but the game, at least as far as I could tell, didn't even mention it to me. It's all a bit dodgey with the camera, but honestly I don't think it's as awful as what's been put out there either.

But hey, it's also entirely possible the whimsical aesthetics are lulling me into a false sense of satisfaction too.

Will report back next week with more info after I've had a chance to play the game more.

I got this also. God I hate the wii controls. This game has a horrible controls. I'm hoping it gets better but right now I'm far from impressed. This could have been amazing with traditional controls.

So far, overall, I'm impressed. I think Spector and his team have done an amazing job at achieving a very high level of authenticity, especially in regards to Disney's history. The stuff that they show you in the beginning references old, classic Mickey stuff that frankly only a fan would probably appreciate--so at its heart it really made for the Disney geeks.
Which to me makes me wonder why they targeted Wii? I think Disney fans like their high quality visuals - Disney have said sales of the disks and BRDs are higher than typical as their fans prefer to watch repeatedly, rather than rent.

Are the Wii-specific controls adding to the gameplay such that the other platforms don't make sense, or did they just go with the 'family console'?

Which to me makes me wonder why they targeted Wii? I think Disney fans like their high quality visuals - Disney have said sales of the disks and BRDs are higher than typical as their fans prefer to watch repeatedly, rather than rent.

Are the Wii-specific controls adding to the gameplay such that the other platforms don't make sense, or did they just go with the 'family console'?

I think they either, felt their target market was on the Wii, or Sony was too late with Move development to get included as a version.

Porting shouldn't be hard looking at other Wii ports. Chances are PhyrEngine and the like will allow a simple conversion. The performance differential mean everything could be copied across without ahving to worry about optimisations. Like Aragon's Quest.

I'm just wondering if the control scheme is the reason. eastmen thinks not; I'm wondering what the control scheme is?

Porting shouldn't be hard looking at other Wii ports. Chances are PhyrEngine and the like will allow a simple conversion. The performance differential mean everything could be copied across without ahving to worry about optimisations. Like Aragon's Quest.

I'm just wondering if the control scheme is the reason. eastmen thinks not; I'm wondering what the control scheme is?

ITs a combination of the control and camera.

It takes mickey a long time to aim properly using the wii mote and i think it can be fixed with perhaps some time of aim assist on the game. The camera also hampers this as it doesn't adjust to keep what your aiming at in the view of the camera.

I think the game needed anotehr 3-4 months to finish baking. I also think it would simply be better on a standard controller.

I suspect the aiming should be fixable via a patch. There are good aiming controls in other Wii (and Move) titles. Camera may be more tricky to change.

It takes mickey a long time to aim properly using the wii mote and i think it can be fixed with perhaps some time of aim assist on the game. The camera also hampers this as it doesn't adjust to keep what your aiming at in the view of the camera.
That's for applying paint? I suppose that was the thinking, they wanted a game where you use paint, like Okami. Wii is the natural fit. Maybe the game design changed so this became less important, so the end result would fit a twin-stick interface? Although casuals can get really stuck on dual-stick titles with independent thumb control, so maybe they were addressing usability issues for their core audience?

That's for applying paint? I suppose that was the thinking, they wanted a game where you use paint, like Okami. Wii is the natural fit. Maybe the game design changed so this became less important, so the end result would fit a twin-stick interface? Although casuals can get really stuck on dual-stick titles with independent thumb control, so maybe they were addressing usability issues for their core audience?

The problem is when your in a fight its not ideal to sit there and line up the aim like that. Its not like a fps or een gears. It takes a long time with it.

I dunno really don't like it .

I suspect the aiming should be fixable via a patch. There are good aiming controls in other Wii (and Move) titles. Camera may be more tricky to change.

Do Wii games get patched often?

Hearing a lot of negative vibe on the podcasts, but then that's hardcore people, and probably bears little relation to is commercial success.

Do Wii games get patched often?

Hearing a lot of negative vibe on the podcasts, but then that's hardcore people, and probably bears little relation to is commercial success.

Look , I love this game . Just don't expect to buy a toad with no warts on it cause this game has warts.

You guys played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii? The game is amazing with the Wiimote aiming. This game is just poorly made across the board. Bad controls can be created on any kind of controller whether it's a traditional controller or Wiimote. Are you going to blame Shaq Fu's bad controls on motion controls? The aiming really is wonky in this game. Some of the worse since Red Steel.

Overall, I think the game does follow the philosophy of the HD consoles of style over substance. The game has amazing style, but the gameplay is boring, clunky, and repetitive. Spector's been too busy raving about stuff like morality (that has very little impact on the overall game) than simple things like controls, camera, level design, and fun. Very disappointing and boring game.

Oh the game does have lock-on for the camera though, so that helps it a bit.

As for why it's on the Wii, it's very simple, they wanted to reach a broader audience. They have people young enough to love Mickey and people old enough to appreciate them. Let's face it, the average 360/PS3 owner would be too insecure to buy a Mickey Mouse game unless it's Kingdom Hearts. I'm not sure Disney would allow Spector to add guns, blood and hookers into a Disney game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back