enable Bass Redirection?

Hello.... i just recently received gigaworks s750 speakers and a new x-fi soundcard. i've been going through the control panels making adjustments, and i'm just wondering if someone could give me a brief explanation of what bass redirection is and if i should enable it or not. is this taking part of the signal normally sent to the the sub and sending it to the speakers? what advantage or disadvantage does this give? i noticed that when i enable it along with the subwoofer gain, the subwoofer sounds more powerful in the test example.

If I remember correctly bass redirect in essence just takes all low frequencies, and redirects them specifically to the sub (determined by the frequency slider). Smaller satellite speakers really shouldn't be doing deep bass anyway (this could prevent potential muddiness in the sound from developing).

You shouldn't have to redirect bass on speaker packages like the gigaworks. The crossover should be hardwired. I found that with my setup I did need to enable bass redirection (audigy 4 cp) and set to 65hz (my combo's sweet spot). I'm running an Onkyo TX-DS575X receiver with Cambridge Soundworks Model Six bookshelf speakers, CSW Center Channel Plus, and Yamaha NS-50T bookshelf rears, + BassCube 10. Without the redirect, I had a big frequency hole in the lower spectrum. This may be specific to my setup because I was running through a receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back