* 360 degree horizontal field of view
* State-of-the-art head tracking device
* Full SVGA stereovision (800 x 3 x 600) OLEDs
* High contrast (>200:1) ratio
* Full color (>16.7 million) pixels
* Low power (USB-powered) visor
* Lightweight, ergonomic (<8 oz) visor
* Built-in stereo sound and noise-canceling microphone

I want one. but, there are rumors of a 1280x1024 version comming near the end of the year. the 800x600 should be shipping now or pretty soon. I'm surprised noone had posted this before.

BOOMEXPLODE said:
How much? IO Display Systems has a similar product for $900. At that price, it's tempting just to buy a large LCD instead.

yes, those have been around for a while. however, that set does not have 3d and no VGA connector. to get the 3d version you have to spend $1200. also, they have a MUCH lower field of view (27 vs 40) as well as likely a lower contrast (being that they are LCD, these are OLED) and not as sharp. they also will have a lower refresh rate and not be as bright because they are LCD. Then, there's the weight issue- they will be much heavier. And then lets not forget that to put a head tracking system on it is going to be hundreds-to-thousands more.

the Z800 weighs in at $899. damned good price considering other HMD's with similar specs are around$30,000

Awesome product, I'd love to have that.. but what will people think when they see you with something that looks like a truncated scrotum bulge on your face.

Blazkowicz_ said:
Awesome product, I'd love to have that.. but what will people think when they see you with something that looks like a truncated scrotum bulge on your face.

well its not like you're going to wear it around town....

I'm thinking massive eyestrain and poor audio quality. Hi-fi? Those little things? :rolleyes: Moreover, 800x600 would seem a bit low.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

EasyRaider said:
I'm thinking massive eyestrain and poor audio quality. Hi-fi? Those little things? :rolleyes: Moreover, 800x600 would seem a bit low.

That's actually pretty good relative to the other products that are out there. If you wanted really high resolution you'd have to spend atleast several thousand dollars. Unfortuneately, after all the hype VR got in the 90s, the technology still hasn't reached mass-market levels of price and performance. With the prices of LCDs and other flat panels dropping, I hope HMDs will start to become more practical (I would love to play video games on one of these). Look at some of the crazy devices that have been produced in the past! Head mounted CRTs anyone? Talk about heavy!

I'm kind of intrigued that they utilized OLEDs. Everything I've seen with these things has been fairly lackluster. I'm no expert in them by any stretch of the imagination, but work with a lot of physics and engineering people. My understanding is that they can't get that big (not a problem in this case), didn't have that good of color quality, and deteriorated rapidly (mostly useless in several years). Only place I've seen them used so far is low end digital cameras, where the screen size is small, and they'll most likely be replaced in a couple years anyway.

Personally, I'd much rather have a good LCD panel over this. It might have a massive field of view, but at that resolution it just means that you have pixels the size of your thumbnail.

squarewithin said:
I'm kind of intrigued that they utilized OLEDs. Everything I've seen with these things has been fairly lackluster. I'm no expert in them by any stretch of the imagination, but work with a lot of physics and engineering people. My understanding is that they can't get that big (not a problem in this case), didn't have that good of color quality, and deteriorated rapidly (mostly useless in several years). Only place I've seen them used so far is low end digital cameras, where the screen size is small, and they'll most likely be replaced in a couple years anyway.

Personally, I'd much rather have a good LCD panel over this. It might have a massive field of view, but at that resolution it just means that you have pixels the size of your thumbnail.
You wouldn't want an LCD panel. LCD panels needs backlight (heavy on your nose) and are three to for orders of magnitude slower than OLED.

For this particular purpose, OLEDs are fine, even today.

Entropy said:
For this particular purpose, OLEDs are fine, even today.

for this particular purpose, OLED's are what makes it feasable to bring to the consumer.

Entropy said:
You wouldn't want an LCD panel. LCD panels needs backlight (heavy on your nose) and are three to for orders of magnitude slower than OLED.

A LED backlight would weight next to nothing, but would be thicker. And I thought OLED panels didn't have much lower than an 8ms response time. A factor of 2-3x faster, sure, but 2-3 orders of magnitude, I don't think so.

Well well! It seems that last month Leadtek quitely introduced their Xeye HMD system. It's only QVGA resolution, but it's the tiniest least obtrusive HMD I've ever seen (OLED!). No pricing information is available, it doesn't seem to be available at retail yet.

squarewithin said:
Entropy said:

A LED backlight would weight next to nothing, but would be thicker. And I thought OLED panels didn't have much lower than an 8ms response time. A factor of 2-3x faster, sure, but 2-3 orders of magnitude, I don't think so.

This is an informative page. Sony PDA OLED
Besides nicely introducing the technology, there is also a spec sheet for this particular panel. Note 0.01 millisecond response time. (+ colur gamut, viewing angles of course, et cetera).

Back