Electron effects could stop objects from scattering light

Report on Nature.com

Pendry warns, however, that the concept as it stands is "no magic cloak", because it would have to be delicately tuned to suit each different object it hides. Perhaps even more of a drawback, he points out, is the fact that a particular shield only works for one specific wavelength of light.

and

And crucially, the effect only works when the wavelength of the light being scattered is roughly the same size as the object. So shielding from visible light would be possible only for microscopic objects; larger ones could be hidden only to long-wavelength radiation such as microwaves. This means that the technology could not be used to hide people or vehicles from human vision.

As in popular science fiction, researchers from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia say, a 'plasmonic cover' might render objects "nearly invisible to an observer."
While it may be physically correct, I really have no idea, university guys should know what they're talking about (though weren't the bubble fusion guys from some university too? :devilish:), though the sentence is definitely logically faulty. If an object suddenly stopped scattering light, it wouldn't turn invisible, it would turn black. And the only way a black object would be invisible would be to put it into an otherwise black environment such as a dark room, in which case it'd be 'invisible' anyway... :LOL:

So much for that invisible man thing... ;)

Guden Oden said:
As in popular science fiction, researchers from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia say, a 'plasmonic cover' might render objects "nearly invisible to an observer."
While it may be physically correct, I really have no idea, university guys should know what they're talking about (though weren't the bubble fusion guys from some university too? :devilish:), though the sentence is definitely logically faulty. If an object suddenly stopped scattering light, it wouldn't turn invisible, it would turn black. And the only way a black object would be invisible would be to put it into an otherwise black environment such as a dark room, in which case it'd be 'invisible' anyway... :LOL:

So much for that invisible man thing... ;)

Or we just put it in one of Doom3 levels :devilish:

LOL, don't even GO there! We'll have T2k here in no-time going on a rant for the millionth time how much that game/engine sucks etc etc...

Better stop now, lest I summon him like some demon from the nether realms. ;)

If an object suddenly stopped scattering light, it wouldn't turn invisible, it would turn black.

If you want an object to turns invisible, then it have to stop scatter light.
If the light goes straight through it, then the light isn't scattered.
It's true that a black object doesn't scatter light, but that doesn't mean that all object that doesn't scatter light is black.

Guden Oden said:
LOL, don't even GO there! We'll have T2k here in no-time going on a rant for the millionth time how much that game/engine sucks etc etc...

Better stop now, lest I summon him like some demon from the nether realms. ;)

well.....the game does suck and engine isnt anything special....

/me runs
dgd.gif

i just cant stop thinking how cool this would be if someday you could make something out of it to make yourself invisible.... you could like walk into lockerrooms and noone could see you... come on, we all know that anyone trying to figure out how to make something invisible has ONE thing in mind... :LOL:

Sage said:
i just cant stop thinking how cool this would be if someday you could make something out of it to make yourself invisible.... you could like walk into lockerrooms and noone could see you... come on, we all know that anyone trying to figure out how to make something invisible has ONE thing in mind... :LOL:

seeing new r520 before anyone else? :D

Re: Electron effects could stop objects from scattering ligh

K.I.L.E.R said:
Neeyik, as a physics genius, is this bullshit?
Err, that should be Fred as the physics genius - not me! Everybody's right here though, including the author of the article in the original link; photons are only scattered by objects are the same order of magnitude of the wavelength. This is why the sky is blue, for example; we observe mostly Rayleigh scattering because the size of the air molecules is roughly in the same order as the wavelength of light - the amount of Rayleight scattering is heavily dependent on the wavelength, so blue is scattered more than the other colours. If this did not happen, ie. there was no atmospheric scattering at all, then the Sun would appear pure white and the sky would appear black or rather, it wouldn't appear at all. It would be like being on the surface of the Moon, albeit with the refraction effects of the atmosphere.

Even if one could stop the surface of human from scattering light and did it in such a way that they became near-100% transparent, you'd still have problems of refractive effects caused by the change in optical medium - going from air into transparent flesh would certainly slow light down and you'd get refraction; kinda like the effects seen in Predator.

pcchen said:
Report on Nature.com

Pendry warns, however, that the concept as it stands is "no magic cloak", because it would have to be delicately tuned to suit each different object it hides. Perhaps even more of a drawback, he points out, is the fact that a particular shield only works for one specific wavelength of light.

and

And crucially, the effect only works when the wavelength of the light being scattered is roughly the same size as the object. So shielding from visible light would be possible only for microscopic objects; larger ones could be hidden only to long-wavelength radiation such as microwaves. This means that the technology could not be used to hide people or vehicles from human vision.
Radar waves are longer than visible light waves, so it'd suffice to make things (like cars) invisible to radar... :) Of course, I think even radar waves are too short to qualify.

Back