ehem, PSP delayed again..? gossip going around :click

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
Another delay for Sony's PSP?

Activision CEO predicts Game Boy competitor won't hit U.S. until as late as June 2005.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – Sony, which has already delayed the U.S. launch of its PSP (PlayStation Portable) from the 2004 holiday season to the first quarter of 2005, might be forced to push back the handheld gaming system even further, according to the CEO of a major video game publisher.

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick told investors yesterday that his company does not expect the PSP to launch in North America until the second quarter, according to an analyst note from P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research. That could conceivably push the system's launch back to June 2005.

Sony's disputed Kotick's statement
We have not discussed or given any indication that an adjustment to the PSP launch window is on the horizon," said Molly Smith, director of public relations for Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Wall Street, though, is skeptical of Sony's timetable.

"We have maintained that it has been at best a 50-50 proposition that Sony will make its scheduled holiday 2004 Japan launch, and any delay in the Japan launch would likely push the North American launch out of the March quarter," wrote McNealy. "We believe the next significant update from Sony (including any possible schedule changes) will come in late September at the Tokyo Games Show."

The PSP was originally scheduled to go on sale worldwide this holiday season. In February, Sony pushed back the U.S. launch of the system to the first quarter of 2005, but said it still planned to launch on schedule in Japan.

those putting games together for the system say Sony has urged them to avoid streaming game levels from the Universal Media Disk, to lengthen the system's battery life. (Peripherals such as CD drives, which are similar to the UMD, drain batteries faster.)

Software publisher earnings aren't likely to be greatly affected if the system does get further delayed. Electronic Arts (ERTS: Research, Estimates) and Activision (ATVI: Research, Estimates) have modest sales expectations for initial games, said McNealy. And THQ's (THQI: Research, Estimates) guidance included no revenue from PSP software through March of next year.
Any delay could only work in Nintendo's favor, however. Its Game Boy Advance is the machine to beat in the portable gaming market – and many industry insiders question whether Sony will be able to assume a market leader position in the field. Meanwhile, Nintendo remains on track to release a second handheld gaming system this holiday.

The Nintendo DS will feature two screens and a touch..bla bla fucking bla

I wonder how users are supposed to watch movies without accessing the disc frequently? :D

thop said:
I wonder how users are supposed to watch movies without accessing the disc frequently? :D

I will be more interesting if somehow sony can get the psp to 5 hours playing games and 3 hours watching movies . Mabye even 2.5 hours

I"m hearing 10-12 hours for the ds playing games with both screens up depending on what battery they decided to ship with

I'm curious how people call this another delay when PSP hasn't missed a single release date yet. Could it merely be sensationalism and hyperbole, perhaps? Nooo, that can't be it can it! :LOL::rolleyes:

Anyway, Jvd, I'm curious how you can "hear" so much about this and that, didn't you work in a videogames store you said? Somehow, I have a hard time believing Nintendo hardware designers come in to chat with you about classified details on their coffeebreaks... ;)

Guden Oden:

> I'm curious how people call this another delay when PSP hasn't
> missed a single release date yet.

Well, because Sony announced one release date (Q4 05 US) and then had to change to it (Q1 05 US).

It's not actually a DELAY though until you've passed the original date and they then change it to something further ahead. Just pushing back the date is called just that, or a postponement...

I will be more interesting if somehow sony can get the psp to 5 hours playing games and 3 hours watching movies . Mabye even 2.5 hours

At the moment they're saying 2 hours for movie, well around there anyway. I am pretty sure, they've to upgrade their battery specs to somewhere around the 2500 mAh (not likely), either that, or you just turn the brightness of the screen all the way down. Portable DVD players have awful battery life too. You can help it by lowering the brightness of the screen, but still, I think heavy user would just need to have second or third battery handy with them.

I"m hearing 10-12 hours for the ds playing games with both screens up depending on what battery they decided to ship with

I doubt you get 10-12 hours for DS, with everything on full blast, if they ship it with that prototype 860mAh battery. Especially with WiFi and another screen.

Back