Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazzard

warcrow

Regular
I originally played the game because I was interested in the narrative--a video game that is self-aware! But it turns out that the gameplay is not good at all. Here is a excerpt from my blog:

In one particular instance Matt Hazzard has to fight some of the enemies from his first game and they are literally 2-D sprites running around shooting at you. The real clever part is they purposefully become more difficult to hit by turning to their sides thinning themselves.

But all this great material is simply overshadowed by the real issue--the gameplay. Thought it replicates Gears of War in this regard, it fails to be engaging. The weapons have little-to-no kickback and lack any sort of originality. The AI is none existent and possibly more inferior to the PB&J sandwich I had for lunch today. The quick-time events are slow and far too crude to be entertaining. The game is so unbalanced I completed 75% of a level performing melee attacks that—when performed at the right moment--seemingly render you invincible.

More here incase anyone else is interested in reading more on it.

Self aware!? [strike]Cybernet[/strike] (sic) Skynet, is that you? Or do you mean in some sort of 'breaking the fourth wall' kind of way? If the latter, that technique (imo) more often than not (though, with notable exceptions) seems to be used as a rather cheap gimmick that just breaks immersion and doesn't work to hide other inadequacies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self aware!? [strike]Cybernet[/strike] (sic) Skynet, is that you? Or do you mean in some sort of 'breaking the fourth wall' kind of way? If the latter, that technique (imo) more often than not (though, with notable exceptions) seems to be used as a rather cheap gimmick that just breaks immersion and doesn't work to hide other inadequacies.

I talked a bit more about it in the full post at the link--but there are games that have done it well like No More Heroes. But the main difference here between the two is the gameplay--NMH is a lot of fun to play. :)

In this case the whole game is a parody of the games industry. Some vids on GameTrailers, like the battling the JRPG boss who communicates via textbox instead of voice, show some clever stuff. It's a shame if someone wiling to make a funny game, very rare these days, messed up on the gameplay so it's not something hardcore gamers, their target market, will want to play.

In this case the whole game is a parody of the games industry. Some vids on GameTrailers, like the battling the JRPG boss who communicates via textbox instead of voice, show some clever stuff. It's a shame if someone wiling to make a funny game, very rare these days, messed up on the gameplay so it's not something hardcore gamers, their target market, will want to play.

Yea the game definitely had potentiol and I really wanted to like it, but the gameplay is really dull unfortunately.

Back