easy peasy windows development toolkit?

got a guy (russian?) who wants a volunteer to write a user interface for windows that applies his binary file offset search/replace app to save files in the boiling point game.

now i could write the guts (binary offset thingy)

but im not a windows developer. im an open systems guy, relational db apps, c,c++ comm interfaces, etc.

so what's an easy tool i could get for my home pc to crank out this interface?

thanks in advance.

visual basic? or C/C++ (i like better, since i know them)

toolbench? gui based? 4gl kinda thing (like an oracle forms tool?)

Send me the details, and if it's not too complex, I'll write one, for free.

it was rumored (not sure if true) that the guy i was talking with was using russian and translator software.

if that's true, im amazed at how the communication barrier was crushed and we could actually communicate!

Cartoon Corpse said:
i'll heads up the guy in the thread, that you'll be stopping by.

I cannot register on that site. When clicking the verification link in the email, I get the message: "You done it again!". My account has the status "waiting".

But how about this:

I make a program that reads an ini-file and offers you the option to execute the entries. Like the following:

Code:
BPedit.ini
-------------
; Syntax:
;
;[NAME_OF_ENTRY]
;offset=nnnnnn         {optional}
;search=nnnnnn         {optional}
;insert=nnnnnn
;
;All numbers in hex, sequence as in memory (so, swap numbers!)
;
[1000Credits]
offset=B2A3
insert=E803

[maxhealth]
search=1B2238D2C2AA
insert=1B2238FFC2AA

Then you can open a savefile, and you get a list of the above options. Select one, and it will patch the file. When done, save it, it will rename the old one to .old or something.

you can't get to the site?

hmm. the russian guy has already written the code that uses an offset table to access the savefile and change the data to reflect such things as: "give 10K pesos", "give 10K pistol ammo", "nice relations with mafia".

what he wants is a 'front end' (if i understand him correctly) that will allow a gamer to easily pick a savegame file and then you would select a number of the above mentioned options. then you would click a 'run' button, and your savegame would be rewritten to disk (overwritten) with the changes you selected.

maybe i'll redirect him here?

can you not even get to the site to look at the thread? www.boiling-point.net

Cartoon Corpse said:
you can't get to the site?

hmm. the russian guy has already written the code that uses an offset table to access the savefile and change the data to reflect such things as: "give 10K pesos", "give 10K pistol ammo", "nice relations with mafia".

what he wants is a 'front end' (if i understand him correctly) that will allow a gamer to easily pick a savegame file and then you would select a number of the above mentioned options. then you would click a 'run' button, and your savegame would be rewritten to disk (overwritten) with the changes you selected.

maybe i'll redirect him here?

can you not even get to the site to look at the thread? www.boiling-point.net

Ok.

Yes, I can read the thread, I just can't post there. And I understood that he knows the offsets and values, but wanted a program to automate replacing the strings in a binary file.

well i think you need to talk to him. since i made some suggestions to him, but he didn't really comment on them, other than to say, if i agreed to do it, he'd send all relevant details.

i linked him to this thread from over there. maybe that will help.

their site admin had this to say:

Yeah i read that but we don't require email verification so it's wierd.

I searched "DiGuru" but we don't have that user registered so maybe something
just went wrong?

maybe try again?

Cartoon Corpse said:
their site admin had this to say:

Yeah i read that but we don't require email verification so it's wierd.

I searched "DiGuru" but we don't have that user registered so maybe something
just went wrong?

maybe try again?

:oops:

I registered for the clan, not the forum.

:oops:

DOH! well hopefully it's straightened out now. haven't seen much activity from baron lately in that thread, perhaps he's waiting on you or been sent to a gulag for conspiring with westerners!

Back