Earphones vs Headphones

I think there definitely is a difference between $50 headphones and $200 ones, it's not like HDMI cables, you can actually see that the hardware you're getting is more complex and exotic.

Like IEMs with multiple drivers per ear, that will have to sound better than a $50 single driver one.

Well multiple drivers IEM can sound lounder with less distortion, but really our ears are not good enough to pick up on these minute distortions. Measuring equipment could, not our ears. The effects of EQ are easier to pick up by our ears than these minimal distortions. I had listen to a variety of IEMs throughout the years using different technology like Etymotics ER4, UE TF10, Shure SE530, Sens IE8 and Audio Technica CK10 and CK100. All you need is a good fit for consistency as well as comfort and EQ it to reference level or the sound you want. They all are very good, can't go wrong with any of them as long as they fit you. They all sound different but can be EQ to sound the same.

And EQ settings might make cheap headphones sound better but they skew a song's sound away from what the artist originally intended it to sound like

Unless its a binaural recording, most records are for loundspeakers reproduction, just by using headphones or IEMs will make the sound not to the artist original intention.

EQ is used to correct sound reproduction so the sound is to the artist or the recording engineer intention. Loudspeakers, headphones, IEMs all need EQ. Loudspeakers might get away with room treatment (but still it's easier to use combination of EQ and room treatment), but headphones and IEM forget it. Those need EQ surely. That's why the best way is to get custom IEM, they'll tune the sound for your ears, so you don't have to do it.

someone I know got hold of studio monitors that had been rejected because of some tiny defect (which maybe developed with use), such as 1db too much above what it should be on a certain frequency. here is it, awesome set of speakers for cheap :)
Which is frankly ridiculous, turning your head a couple degrees would cause more deviation across the frequency range. To get 1 dB flat response in a measurement setup you can be 100% certain it's equalized BTW. That's not something you can manage with merely good design.

lol I shouldn't have given a number I made up sometimes I speak too much.
I thought 1dB was not so tiny of a difference.
1dB is the approximate change in level that is barely large enough to be detected by an industry-standard human being, when not subject to masking. It is a relatively tiny change only in the crude terms of our hearing apparatus. In physical terms though, it's a pretty significant deviation (+12 per cent).

heres a question

why does my hifi when the volume is turned right down display -90db and when on full volume display 0db
you'd expect 0db to be silence

heres a question

why does my hifi when the volume is turned right down display -90db and when on full volume display 0db
dB is a logarithmic measure that is necessarily relative to some reference level. In your case 0dB is the maximum amplification of your, err, amplifier.
Absolute silence is -infinity dBs, no matter the reference level. Subjective silence may start another matter of course. There's a threshold you have to cross for the ear to detect anything after all.

dB is a logarithmic scale relative to a reference level. In normal conversation it's mostly implied that this "silent" (i.e. the threshold of perception for a normal human being). For home audio equipment, however, it tends to be relative to some spec or standard relating to the source being played. For instance, DD and DTS have different reference levels, but modern receivers tend to adjust for these things so that percieved volume isn't jumping all over the place depending on the source. IIRC, a properly calibrated system playing a movie with a DD soundtrack should have dialogue at ~75 and peaks at 105 db with the dial set to zero.

Edit: I write too slow.

it's a ratio, you can define it as +3dB means double.
-3dB means half, +10dB means 10x, -10dB means a tenth. and 0 db equals 1

it's a kind of "unitless" unit, with no physical quantity, and has other uses that sound (e.g. an electrical signal, or something more abstract)

the human ear or brain has a logarithmic perception as well ;), it's better that way, as +30dB really means 1000x.

Now, I've always assumed that headphones have better sound quality than earphones as they have much bigger drivers and sit outside the ear?

Essentially this is a 'yes.' At any particular price point the headphone is going to give you a much better experience than a comparably priced IEM. No IEM, regardless of price, can match the large sounding soundstage of a decent larger driver headphone. My HD555 provide me a much better listening experience, than my IE8, despite them being 1/3 the price. The reasons to take an IEM over a headphone is if you need the isolation and portability. imo.

Back