Does Vista do Crossfire yet?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Ok, so I took the plunge about a week ago and now I've almost got my Vista install up to speed and able to do what I want it to do. So far I actually sort of like it, it's like Ubuntu to me but prettier. (And slower, but not bad on Bubbles at all)

Right now I'm having trouble finding mobo drivers for my new Asus A8R32-MVP mobo for it, anyone have any suggestions? My only other problem was that I couldn't get my Audigy 2 OEM to accept any of the Creative Vista drivers, I had to manually unpack the drivers and force an install thru control panel. (But on the brightside it works enough like XP that it worked and I now have sound)

But I got my X1600XTs in and I can't enable crossfire in it, anyone got any ideas?

Which version, x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)?

It appears to make a difference quite often.

I've been playing with the 64bit client and finding drivers for it is a BITCH!

I think i'll have to bite the bullet and get the 32bit client. I've heard it has better driver support.

I'm using the 32bit for that reason too, and I got word tonight from some friends at AT that no it can't be made to work with anything publically availabel...but they do have it working in the lab and plan to incorporate it soon in an official relase.

just don't try to uninstall anything.
vista public beta 2 has .... problems... with its uninstaller.

Althornin said:
just don't try to uninstall anything.
vista public beta 2 has .... problems... with its uninstaller.

Yeah, I noticed. Nothing leaves the list for one thing. . .

Any progress on this yet?

I'm using the 64bit version of vista. I've got drivers for everything, although I had to trick vista into using XP 64bit drivers for the on board soundmax audio on my Asus A8R-MVP.

The ATI drivers work fine, but lack the crossfire option. Since I'm using 2 X1300pro's, losing one of them seriously impedes performance! lol :LOL:

I haven't played around with it much, they sent me an 1800GTO to play with. :oops:

No xfire, but sweeter than two X1600XTs I think....I'll get back to you on that. ;)

oddfellow said:
Any progress on this yet?

I'm using the 64bit version of vista. I've got drivers for everything, although I had to trick vista into using XP 64bit drivers for the on board soundmax audio on my Asus A8R-MVP.

The ATI drivers work fine, but lack the crossfire option. Since I'm using 2 X1300pro's, losing one of them seriously impedes performance! lol :LOL:

Yikes you're really up a creek then. Also, you should know that the 64bit version of Vista performs worse than the 32bit. Often do to the emulation layer, I'm still thinking we're a long way from 64 bit Windows that has a real point.

I have both x86 and x64 versions. I'm gonna try the 32bit version out soon.

Are there any differences at all between the 2 versions (aside from performance)?

I thought vista drivers would contain both 32 and 64-bit binaries so people wouldn't have to hunt for support for their hardware? MEH. what a missed opportunity. :(

the xbox 360 controller setup file includes driver for XP 32bit and XP 64bit. so I feel confident that when 64bit becomes consumer widespread (possibly with Vista's release, and a given when consumer PC will begin to come with 4GB RAM) you'll see quite a number of "universal" drivers.

but still, for heavy drivers I'd rather have separate archives. 9x.xx forceware for NT 5.x are 40 to 60MB :oops: , I wouldn't want to have double that size, plus a pile of crappy drivers meaning I have to deal with possibly 1GB of drivers, that would be insane :oops:
you have to choose win9x, NT 5.x or Vista anyway on vendor site, x86 vs x64 is another distinction and even "dumb" people can know what their OS is by looking at the boot screen.

Most of the driver 'bulk' is being caused by localiaztion in the control panel. You just need to compare the size of the various ATI driver options. The x64 drivers only come with everything and are huge, but the 32bit drivers are available as separate compoents and if you only download what you need, it's a lot smaller. The control panels contain far too many images with text in them...

Back