• Build

Votes: 80 97.6%
  • Buy

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Skrying

S K R Y I N G
Veteran
I'm curiou as to how many of the B3D users build their own or buy OEM computers.

Also, it'd be great if you can give reasons for why you build or buy.

Thanks!

Build, mainly because I just love messing with hardware. I also refuse to buy anything other than a SFF system, and those are really expensive when you buy a prebuilt one.

Build. Better value for money; get exactly what you want and how you want it; enjoy the building process; since I'm intimate with every system part I can better diagnose problems if/when they appear.

I build, because I'm a silence freak. It's fun trying to build a machine in which everything is cooled by a single fan :)

I doubt you'll find many buyers here. I think I can speak for the majority in saying that we build because it's fun (most of the time), interesting, saves money/gets you more for less and allows you to customize it any way you like.

build. :) Helps that whilie a student at my uni, i got a ton of software licenses dirt cheap. In the future, ill probably buy and upgrade.

epic

Buy (but with selected hardware components) because I am sick of something not quite working right and having to fiddle with it.
By now, my time has become too valuable for me to spend it building computers instead of using them.

If some non-techies just wants a cheap PC for word processing, browsing the web, sending emails, etc I usually just send them to Dell. The economies of scale mean you can get a lot of PC for your money, covered by warrenty and with OS and apps included.

If someone is a geek or has a specific requirement, I'll build one to match their specific requirements and budget, getting the biggest bang for the buck and using quality components with an eye to futureproofing, noise, heat, and expandability. This will work out more expensive than Dell, but the components will be of higher quality without compromises being made as when you buy a whole PC off the shelf.

For myself I'll always build one, for the same reasons as the paragraph above. I may spend more, but I'll get exactly what I want. I've found that building better computers and spending more at the beginning actually works out cheaper in the long run, as you end up with a PC that has a longer useful life, or one that can be upgraded with minimal cost and components. Plus I actually enjoy doing it. Even reading the reviews and choosing your components can be fun.

Ditto to pretty much everything BZB said.

I rarely buy a completely new system and tend to do "rolling upgrades".

Another one here, agreeing with BZB; except, with the DELL option, I then go and hose the system for them and instead make it fast, efficient (minimum amount of alternative apps that cover everything well) and a lot safer.

Build. Simple reasons really, it's cheaper and better.

Too many pre-builts cut corners, I prefer knowing what every bit of my kit is and where it came from.

Mainly a quality issue for me, I've never seen a pre-built that I considered as good as one I built myself.

I build cos of VFM, features, specs and forward-planning.

I don't enjoy the actual building, though. In fact I hate it. I like to keep the rate of change extremely low.

I've only installed an OS once in the last 11 years (WinXP, 2 years ago). My first two PCs (1995 and 1999) were bought. Still have a 20GB hard disk dating from 1999, installed for emergency usage - though I just put in a 400GB drive so I will relegate the 20GB drive back to its intended function of W98 boot disk (for an audio-editing PC, ah ProTools free...) at some point.

I did funky stuff as a kid, e.g. constructing a sound card from all the bits - AY38910 yay:

http://www.howell1964.freeserve.co.uk/parts/ay3891x_datasheet.htm

that brings back happy memories - but absolutely minimal downtime is my priority these days.

Jawed

thatdude90210 said:
I build my own. But for friends & family, I send them to Dell. They make cheap, usable computers, and they provide the support.

LOL you should have put the "they" in bold too - I'm sure that's what you intended. ;)

thatdude90210 said:
I build my own. But for friends & family, I send them to Dell. They make cheap, usable computers, and they provide the support.
I built pc's for my dad and bro-in-law last year.

Next time, I'll strongly consider the Dell route. Perhaps with a vidcard selected added by me because they want gaming systems.

But I'll keep building my own personal systems for the forseeable future.

Jawed said:
I don't enjoy the actual building, though. In fact I hate it. I like to keep the rate of change extremely low.

Ah, this is pretty much the opposite of me. Once it's built I lose interest. :LOL:

build. I get to choose components, especially the PSU which is a critical one. and for my own PC no need to throw away anything, I can upgrade the components when needed.

I then put XP pro corporate or even win 2003.. with pirated windows there's no hassle, whereas if I choosed to pay I'd have to deal with activation or even the risk of OEM enforcing rendering it unusable if my motherboard dies or is obsolete. 100€, activation hassle (by phone?) and risk flushing it down the toilets? no, thanks.

MuFu said:
Ah, this is pretty much the opposite of me. Once it's built I lose interest. :LOL:
I've found the way to avoid that is to never finish building a PC. Technically I built Bubbles back in 1999, but I still haven't really finished her up. ;)

Very few activities -- safe ones anyway -- offer the kind of exhilaration you feel when building your own computer. There's nothing like guiding frail, budget-breaking components into position, knowing full well that one false move and ... you know. ;)

Back