Disney shuts down LucasArts

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Besides, most moviegoers haven't played the KOTOR games anyway, so there's no genuine loss in any case. Heck, I'm a gamer and starwars fan and I haven't played any of the KOTOR games...

This fully explains your opinion.
Had I not played KOTOR, my opinion on the EU would probably be the same as yours.

George Lucas himself loves to rework Star Wars canon. It's tradition for the series.

I can only surmise that they don't want to feel limited by what has been already established, even if it was 3000 years ago or not. It just makes things easier overall to write the whole lot off rather than pick and choose and try to cobble something working together.

Besides, most moviegoers haven't played the KOTOR games anyway, so there's no genuine loss in any case. Heck, I'm a gamer and starwars fan and I haven't played any of the KOTOR games...

Then you're really missing something. You must play them. Now.

That said, I don't really give a crap whether Disney thinks KOTOR is canon. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game.

I played Rebel Assault and Xwing.. they both seem to state that someone other than Luke destroyed the Death Star! :), and they aren't the same person.

Star Wars on Atari 2600 has you destroy the Death Star but here I assume you're playing Luke's role.

I loved Dark Forces and then Jedi Knight, awesome game with big huge spaces, ran like butter on Voodoo1. I think it used Direct3D 5 (had a software renderer too), was one of the last games to have CD quality music tracks instead of mp3, ogg etc. It was a feat to make such an atmospheric game with early 3D accelerated tech.
Too bad that I once lost one of the CDs, which is the one the game wanted for CD check. aargh! Never got to playing more than the first level of the extension.

The Quake 3 based sequel was meh in comparison. Never got far at all.

I loved Dark Forces and then Jedi Knight, awesome game with big huge spaces, ran like butter on Voodoo1. I think it used Direct3D 5 (had a software renderer too), was one of the last games to have CD quality music tracks instead of mp3, ogg etc. It was a feat to make such an atmospheric game with early 3D accelerated tech.
Too bad that I once lost one of the CDs, which is the one the game wanted for CD check. aargh! Never got to playing more than the first level of the extension.

Does this mean you didn't play Mysteries of the Sith?

So not only did Disney shut down LucasArts but now every single game, novel and comic is declared non-canon from now on.
They've always been non-canon. I don't see what the big fuss is about. The only things that have ever been considered canon are the films, the novelizations, and the radio plays, in that order. As far as I'm concerned, things like the Clone Wars cartoons aren't even canon.

I can see their reasoning behind the announcements, it's so that 1) they're not beholden to spending thousands upon thousands of man-hours researching what they "can" and "can't" do in the new movies, and 2) so people don't get their panties in a bunch when the new movies don't line up with the EU. Which will probably happen anyway.

The vast majority of the EU sucks balls anyway, I don't know why you'd want it to be canon.

I tried to play Mysteries of the Sith, but couldn't get past the in-game-engine cutscenes after having been spoiled so badly with the actually really rather good FMV cutscenes from the previous JK:DFII. The actor for Kyle was excellent, and the CGI was top-notch for the time. The huge drop in quality made MotS feel like a low-budget cash-in to me. I hugely enjoyed DFII though, I played through it to the end on a PowerVR 3D card, which stumped me a couple times due to missing blending modes, making some forcefields appear opaque, making me think they were walls.

Other than that, DFII ran great on PowerVR IIRC.

If only the cutscenes were really "in-game-engine" :D. It was FMV that uses the game's asset, taking over "seamlessly" from the game. Fine maybe.. except the compression and quality were very crude, and 1997 level graphics is not so much worth it.

I'm sure other games do it, on consoles and PC, but with both much higher tech graphics and video quality (DVD/Divx level).

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes. btw it was still so long ago, I first played through JK with only the keyboard (maybe not to the end), ditto with Quake. Only later I got the Voodoo and Half-Life, we switched to both using 3D acceleration and mouse look. Somehow I thought that a FPS game was to be played with the keyboard.

Well yea obviously the move away from FMV with actors was budgetary. Expansion packs tend to be much lower volume for one. FMV fad was waning by then too.

MOTS has some nice new content though. I seem to remember the gameplay being memorable back then.

Back