DirectSR is disappointingly unambitious

MfA

Legend
Instead of an API for upscaling TAA replacers, why not experiment a bit and make it suitable for view reprojection and asynchronous timewarp?

Just allow the API to take in the view matrix for frames and the desired reprojected frame, have it return a bitfield with "missing" pixels (filled in with best guess, but application might want to fill in with raytracing).

Even for non VR games ATW might be interesting. Like intel showed with ExtraSS. Blurbusters asked for this too.

Yeah I would like that honestly.
When I talked with AMD around FSR 3's launch I mentioned I would really like it for such a system to exist and they were intrigued by it.

I would like this too and I suspect something like this would be the next step. Work on DirectSR started some time ago when only Nvidia had frame generation and none except Meta did frame generation with extrapolation. Ideally DirectX needs to be a common api to target different IHV's. I think it's up to IHV's to be ambitious and bring out new features and then for DirectX to incorporate them if those features are well matured and adapted.

They have a console too, they should be partnering with Meta not just to bring out xbox branded Quest 3 but also for using Quest 3 with Xbox/PC rendering.

They should be implementing this themselves.

I'm sure Sony has an API and implementation for reprojection, why shouldn't Microsoft? To make it a bit more practical this is what I'm saying Microsoft should have done and still do.

- Make DirectSR just a general reprojection API, at the minimum this means allowing view matrix for supplied and requested frames and negative frametime to request extrapolated frames. Minimal changes required, because there is a huge overlap and these applications really belong in a single API.

- Make a built in implementation for ATW, preferably using NPU.

- Work with Meta to get Meta Quest Link (their OpenXR runtime) to use DirectSR for ATW. Other headsets should use it too, but they have a marketing deal with Meta.

Last edited:
Back