Digital Foundry views on physical media *spawn

Clearly something you havent seen/heard from that video. Il try to link to it.

11:39 to 11:55 somewhere ;)
It's about there, and easy to find in the transcript. So John is saying is that some people think that gamers who still favour physical media are idiots. If you look look at the comments on some DF yoUTube videos you will not be surprised to see lots of vitriolic crap like this.

To be clear, just in case there is a misunderstanding, he's not calling anybody else idiots. I'm sure there are folks who are deeply into transient ownership - which isn't really ownership, but arguably what is in the modern digital age - may feel that people favouring shiny discs are a bit backward. People being super pro-digital post a lot in these forums.

"For Smart Delivery, developers can elect to include both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions on a disc to play offline, but in some cases, you'll need to be connected to the Internet to download additional content," a Microsoft representative told Ars Technica.

Disc-based games designed exclusively for the Series X, such as Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition, seem to be the only titles that can be installed and played on a completely offline Series X. For these games, the files on the disc run without the need for an online check-in at any point.
Intersting. I guess this is a cost-saving measure for physical packaging and reducing the number of unique game SKUs.

I've not bought any discs for my Series X so this passed me by and I've not been into a store selling games since before lockdown.

Is it true that the campaign in Halo Infinite is downloaded from the internet once you place the disk in?

Yes, because I have a weirdo buddy who is a huge gamer in 2022 and has poor to nonexistent internet :p More the weirdo part is he is not particularly worried about rectifying that, which is mystifying to me. This is a guy for example who just bought not one but two OLED Switches just because (also has multiple of the old OLED PSP etc). Definitely an eccentric guy. Also will buy almost every themed Xbox in existence, has maybe 10-15 Xbox's. Yet for all that doesnt like his One X because it's "too hot" and rather plays on the One S (Also doesnt have a Series console yet). And plays on 24" 1080P monitor :LOL: I've probably mentioned his odd habits a lot. Another thing that boggled my mind is he will buy some games twice, simply because owning the digital license means he doesnt have to swap discs to play it, because I guess if you own it digitally it means you do not have to have the disc in to play it (even tho obviously he cannot actually download the games!). So he will buy the disc and the digital. All that trouble and he still doesnt care very much about having poor internet :LOL:

Anyways he bought Halo Infinite on disc and could not play it because the campaign must be downloaded (or at least some part if it). First I'd ever heard of that.

Edit: Also I have no idea what that "icon twisted" attachment thing below is about...not intended

Attachments

• icon_twisted.gif
    icon_twisted.gif
    238 bytes · Views: 2
It's about there, and easy to find in the transcript. So John is saying is that some people think that gamers who still favour physical media are idiots. If you look look at the comments on some DF yoUTube videos you will not be surprised to see lots of vitriolic crap like this.

To be clear, just in case there is a misunderstanding, he's not calling anybody else idiots. I'm sure there are folks who are deeply into transient ownership - which isn't really ownership, but arguably what is in the modern digital age - may feel that people favouring shiny discs are a bit backward. People being super pro-digital post a lot in these forums.

I don't understand why their discussion is Microsoft centric. Microsoft doesn't dictate how publishers config or split their wares. If its harder to find physical media on the Xbox then that must be because pubs have noticed that Xbox owners more readily buy digital titles than anyone else. Plus Sony has plans to increase their subscriber count across its services from 160 million to a billion, so it not like MS is the only one spearheading this direction.

Also, its almost like they are using GamePass as an influence/catalyst of this direction rather than it being an outcome of it. MS nor Sony needed subscription services for motivation to offer digital distribution. The lack of used sales was motivation enough.

Furthermore, if no one likes subscriptions at DF, they can simply choose not to subscribe. No one said that the plan for MS or Sony is to do away with individual sales.

Yes, because I have a weirdo buddy who is a huge gamer in 2022 and has poor to nonexistent internet :p More the weirdo part is he is not particularly worried about rectifying that, which is mystifying to me. This is a guy for example who just bought not one but two OLED Switches just because (also has multiple of the old OLED PSP etc). Definitely an eccentric guy. Also will buy almost every themed Xbox in existence, has maybe 10-15 Xbox's. Yet for all that doesnt like his One X because it's "too hot" and rather plays on the One S (Also doesnt have a Series console yet). And plays on 24" 1080P monitor :LOL: I've probably mentioned his odd habits a lot. Another thing that boggled my mind is he will buy some games twice, simply because owning the digital license means he doesnt have to swap discs to play it, because I guess if you own it digitally it means you do not have to have the disc in to play it (even tho obviously he cannot actually download the games!). So he will buy the disc and the digital. All that trouble and he still doesnt care very much about having poor internet :LOL:

Anyways he bought Halo Infinite on disc and could not play it because the campaign must be downloaded (or at least some part if it). First I'd ever heard of that.

Edit: Also I have no idea what that "icon twisted" attachment thing below is about...not intended
I feel like telling your friend to go check himself :LOL:

I would be much more into physical media if the physical media purchased today included an actual playable, fully featured version of the software. What game doesn't have a day 1 patch, and then another in the first month? I want to want physical media, but I find it more annoying now than anything else.

I don't understand why their discussion is Microsoft centric. Microsoft doesn't dictate how publishers config or split their wares. If its harder to find physical media on the Xbox then that must be because pubs have noticed that Xbox owners more readily buy digital titles than anyone else.
I don't know what to tell you, he said he noticed this with Xbox games. That's why it's Microsoft-centric. They make Xbox. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No point ranting at me, mate.

I don't know what to tell you, he said he noticed this with Xbox games. That's why it's Microsoft-centric. They make Xbox. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No point ranting at me, mate.
I think it has to do with the way games are packaged on Xbox. Smart Delivery means you can buy a physical disc with a license for a game that works on your hardware, but not necessarily the game itself. Gears 5 is an example of this. You have to download the update for it to work on Series X, it just won't play without the update. On PS5, you can play PS4 games that received PS5 updates off the disc (well, install from disc and then play without an update), you just have the same game/features/graphics as the PS4 release. The requirement for an update means you have to connect to the internet, therefor the physical release does you little when compared to a digital one if you are playing on newer hardware in many cases.

Last edited:
I think it has to do with the way games are packaged on Xbox. Smart Delivery means you an buy a physical disc with a license for a game that works on your hardware, but not necessarily the game itself.
As, I see. I thought the issue was that some games don't come on disc at all. I generally don't listen to podcasts longer than 30 mins so I listen to few DF podcasts myself.

John needs to learn to filter, thats all.
If the DF team "filter" every view that is unpopular with a segment of their listeners, there podcasts will be 0 seconds long.
You need to learn tolerance of other people's views.

If the DF team "filter" every view that is unpopular with a segment of their listeners, there podcasts will be 0 seconds long.

Well i dont care, its just some critique because theres alot of users commenting on it lately. But ok, let him go his way, he'l delve more and more into his 'views', which i guess will profit all of us in the end.

Back