Demonoid blocked in Kanada

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
"Newspost - Sep/30/2007
Downtime

We received a letter from a lawyer represeting the CRIA, they were threatening with legal action and we need to start blocking Canadian traffic because of this.

Thanks for your understanding, and sorry for any inconvenience."

So it's true, the CRIA caused the downtime. :-/

Edit: The fora are back online now as well.

People in Canada must now use a proxy to connect to it. Somebody at the Demonoid temp forum recommended to use random cgi proxy. Here is the link posted:
http://tools.rosinstrument.com/cgi-proxy.htm.

And it works.

What is demonoid:?:

Never heard of it. By the looks of it though - if it's been blocked and stuff - it's some kind of software pirate warren.

Should that really be discussed here on this site?
Peace.

What is demonoid:?:

Never heard of it. By the looks of it though - if it's been blocked and stuff - it's some kind of software pirate warren.

Peace.

I'd say its borderline, its a torrent linking site. It's certainly commonly used for piracy. Whether that is its intent is up for debate I suppose.

Yea, it's that. It's not even a good one in terms of speed. But they do have a huge selection of stuff. It's basically a public tracker that requires registration and a very nice interface with commenting.
Peace.
Seems to depend on section. Seems to be more lenient in General Discussion where I've seen several times people comment about warez. But I've gotten an infraction talking about warez in the PC Games forum. And it also varies on how you talk about it, talking in generalities seems to be okay in every section. But as you get more explicit and also admit to downloading warez yourself things heat up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really see how it is of interest if Pirate Site X gets shut down in country Y or not.

With the general climate today with Big Software lobbying and lawsuiting their way as the right way it's expected for trackers to get blocked sooner or later. It shouldn't be neccessary to make a topic about it here. Those who pirate stuff will know/notice this anyway.

One can't even fault individual software companies for wanting them down because piracy is a big concern for the industry.

I'm certainly a big fan of if it's worth using (playing) it's worth buying.

Peace.

Back