Demo on Outdoor scattered light.

In the August issue of Game Developer Magazine they had a nice article about Scattered light. The physics they used to implement this was kindof roundabout, but I was wondering if a few of you with DX8 capable cards could give me your thoughts on the demo?

http://www.gdmag.com/code.htm It is the aug02.zip.

I was wondering what kind of performance it would get and if it could be coupled with pvrdev's demo on shadows from an infinite light source.

Anyhow, thanks.

Looks beautiful, and very smooth.

It is locked at about 40 fps according to fraps 1.8A. My screen is at 1280x1024x32@85Hz and the applicable draw space in the window looks like about 960x480 or something (too lazy to get a pixel position reporting tool at the moment). Note that using Alt+Enter to go to full screen resulted in a banded, distorted image that looks like a partial section of what I saw in windowed mode, and the fraps reading dropped to 30, so it doesn't seem to be working properly for me.

I would be very pleased with a game with graphics like that...looks MUCH better than any flight simulator I've seen, even with a farily blocky terrain (the lighting effects help disguise the blockiness even fairly close up), though things like nice looking water and building/vehicle shadows would likely be a fair additional performance load on the GPU.

I think Morrowind may use some similar principles in its graphics, so I guess pixel shaders aren't just limited to the water in that game...but that is just a layman's guess.

The sun "glow" in Morrowind doesnt need PS as it works without them enabled as well.

Only water is using PS (sigh).

I agree, it looks pretty good. The framerate was locked at 34fps for me both at full screen (640x480) and in a window. I would guess it CPU limited as alot of the calculations would have to be done off card. I think the banding results from it using a 16bit display.

The way the cloud reflections move across the scenery is v.realistic. Neat!

Very beautiful and realistic demo. I had the same problems in full-screen as you ppl. Hope to see this used in games soon...

OpenGL guy said:
I haven't checked out the above-mentioned demo yet, but have you seen this one?
http://www.ati.com/developer/gdc/GDC02_HoffmanPreetham.pdf

Runs great on my 8500.

Same people, so I would assume this demo is the same. To be fair I think your PDF was published before I found that article ;) . I will have to make a trip to campus before attempting to download that 60+ PDF. Thanks for sharing though, I am sure this 60+ pager will be more fulfilling than the 4 page article.

LittlePenny said:
Same people, so I would assume this demo is the same. To be fair I think your PDF was published before I found that article ;) . I will have to make a trip to campus before attempting to download that 60+ PDF. Thanks for sharing though, I am sure this 60+ pager will be more fulfilling than the 4 page article.
Yeah, I think the link I gave is to the .pdf used at the GDC presentation a couple months back. When I saw the demo running in-house, I was quite impressed :)

Back