Dear racing fans: Assetto Corsa for [PS4, XBO]. Awarded best PC racing simulator. 2016, 60 fps

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Imo, now Forza and GT have some very, very serious competition (Project Cars is out already), and they need to get their act together. Simulation wise, they are trailing way behind, if the Asseto Corsa reviews are right. It is considered the best simulation game nowadays.

I tried this game at a friend's house, who has a very powerful PC rig, and the little I tried -10 laps or so- I was impressed.

The news in the official homepage of the game:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/coming-to-console-2016/

ac_consoles_2016-1024x320.jpg

Truly excellent trailer by the way:

Around the middle of last year I played an early access build on a friend's PC. With a wheel it felt very much like Forza. Very authentic.

Looked rough as all hell but the handling model is good and that is all I care about.

Looking forward to it. Great news that it is coming to consoles.

When I finish TW3 I need to get this game as I love proper racing simulations!

Currently I play RacingRoom to get my racing fixation but Assetto looks better, have more cars and seems to be more to my liking. Summer Steam sale is coming so I hope to grab it there, but if it's good I will also get it for XBONE to race against my son in multiplayer!

I saw the car list somewhere and it looks atrocious compared to GT and Forza

Maybe because they went for quality and not quantity, besides it's just much smaller studio developing this game (at least for now).
I'm happy with a dozen of cars as long as they 'different' in handling and feel real.
I love Forza, but a lot of cars there is not even close to how real thing feels to drive and I end up racing a handful of cars from the list. I do try to unlock and buy all of them but then they sit in my garage unused.

Of all the recent sims I've tried, this is probably the best, but I haven't tried rFactor recently which by most accounts from simheads is the top-dog. It's currently a very scarce experience though, but if this gives these clearly very talented guys a bigger budget to play with, I think this is a great idea. Driving a race in the Ferrari 458 last month in that game (with three screens) was one of the best racing experiences I've had in a while. Their force feedback is almost perfect (only better one was the DTM mod for F2C)

Yes, but your comparison is a bit off.

AC is a hardcore sim game where all that counts is physics and precise emulation of reality. For those games accuracy is more important than wealth of content.

AC is a hardcore sim game where all that counts is physics and precise emulation of reality. For those games accuracy is more important than wealth of content.
I can understand this but there are important brands that are missing completely too. There are way too few cars in there. I hope the PS4 and XB1 version get a little bit more cars that we expect to be there

I can understand this but there are important brands that are missing completely too. There are way too few cars in there. I hope the PS4 and XB1 version get a little bit more cars that we expect to be there
There has been one drop of DLC on the PC already, and I think there is another pack due soon, so I think it's safe to say when AC hit's the consoles there will be more cars than their currently are.

Around the middle of last year I played an early access build on a friend's PC. With a wheel it felt very much like Forza. Very authentic.

Looked rough as all hell but the handling model is good and that is all I care about.

Looking forward to it. Great news that it is coming to consoles.
Graphically wise, at least the laps I played at my friend's house, the game wasn't impressive. The interface is really good though, and the detailed information about each car is also well presented and explained.

What was impressive to me is the physics, the driving, the feel of the car...
Precisely that's something that plays on Asseto Corsa's favour, for me at least. More on that later.

Maybe because they went for quality and not quantity, besides it's just much smaller studio developing this game (at least for now).
I'm happy with a dozen of cars as long as they 'different' in handling and feel real.
I love Forza, but a lot of cars there is not even close to how real thing feels to drive and I end up racing a handful of cars from the list. I do try to unlock and buy all of them but then they sit in my garage unused.

Yes, that is. I commented on that time ago in the forums -Forza 5 thread iirc-.

When you play Forza and you unlock all those cars, it gets to a point you don't feel a sense of achievement. Nothing beats the feeling of unlocking a car in games like Ridge Racer, or Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit.

If you unlocked a car in one of those games it was because you did something great. In Forza there are so many cars, a lot of them go totally unused (at least that's what happens to me) and it gets dull after a while. The main advantage of Forza is that there are some true classics and a brother of mine loved to drive the 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo, because he is a fan of classic cars and even has two Mini cars from the early 70s in real life.

It is one of the features I asked for in Forza, less cars, more quality per car. The career mode should make you feel great after unlocking a car, not like... "ah well, I just have another car in my garage, or another bunch of them".

Sometimes it gets to a point I don't know what I just unlocked.

In Ridge Racer or in the original NFS: Hot Pursuit 3, unlocking a car made you feel like you were improving your driving, that you truly deserved that car, until you could unlock the best of the best.

Of all the recent sims I've tried, this is probably the best, but I haven't tried rFactor recently which by most accounts from simheads is the top-dog. It's currently a very scarce experience though, but if this gives these clearly very talented guys a bigger budget to play with, I think this is a great idea. Driving a race in the Ferrari 458 last month in that game (with three screens) was one of the best racing experiences I've had in a while. Their force feedback is almost perfect (only better one was the DTM mod for F2C)
The people -PC gamers- I know of and told me about the game, say that as of currently there isn't a sim in the market as good as this one, when it comes to realism.

Ironically, people expected Project Cars to be the second coming and simulation wise I have friends who have the Xbox One version and they say the game is not a true sim at all. Some PC gamers think the same about Project Cars.

If they keep the interface of the PC game and the simulation remains intact, and it runs at 60 fps, I will try to make sure to have this game from day one.

There has been one drop of DLC on the PC already, and I think there is another pack due soon, so I think it's safe to say when AC hit's the consoles there will be more cars than their currently are.
Apparently, PC gamers aren't happy about the news, but some of them think that more than the number of cars, this news could mean that the online of the game is going to get an improvement, because they say the online is by far the weakest point of Assetto Corsa.

Is the studio related to Milestone?
No that I know of. I have several Milestone games on the X360 -superbikes and Moto GP games- and they aren't related. Milestone doesn't tend to create sims, their games are very arcade.

A couple of points
1. Yes R-Factor rocks especially with all the mods available (rfactor 2 is in beta)
2. A game that's getting a huge amount of praise from sim racers is Game Stock Car Extreme (although it wont win any beauty contests) http://game-stockcar.com.br/?lang=en
there is a 60 min demo or a cut down 30 day demo (p.c only)
3. Arcade racers, Assetto Corsa may not be for you, many sims can be arcade'd if you turn on the driving aids. Assetto Corsa doesnt have any aids that aren't available in real life so it wont prevent you taking a corner too fast.

A couple of points
1. Yes R-Factor rocks especially with all the mods available (rfactor 2 is in beta)
2. A game that's getting a huge amount of praise from sim racers is Game Stock Car Extreme (although it wont win any beauty contests) http://game-stockcar.com.br/?lang=en
there is a 60 min demo or a cut down 30 day demo (p.c only)
3. Arcade racers, Assetto Corsa may not be for you, many sims can be arcade'd if you turn on the driving aids. Assetto Corsa doesnt have any aids that aren't available in real life so it wont prevent you taking a corner too fast.
Point 3... Yes that's what I noticed. My friend hadn't touched the assists or configuration. The car was controllable, although you had to careful. BUT he feeling of every bump and ridge on the tarmac was represented like I'never seen in a racing game.

Graphics wise though, it's not about beauty for this game either. It can be rough at times. Especially the textures of the concrete and things like that. Bue that's not what matters about Assetto Corsa, I think.

Even so, hopefully they are going to add fancy effects for the console versions, like bloom, lens flare, basically extra shine and other enhancements.

Back