DC to DC power supplies?

I used a 20-24pin PSU adapter cable long-term without issue back with my nForce4 rig.

The main thing I worry with PSU cables is the resistance of their connectors and the resulting heat. It's not a concern unless you are an overclocker using high power components though. Like say overclocking + overvolting a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with only a 4-pin CPU aux connector. ;)

Thanks for the insight. My setup will be completely stock no overclocking so will be fairly tame compared what you have.

Also, would look hella unsightly by stacking multiple extension cables, wouldn't it?

I'm gonna put the PC under my A/V receiver so the PS and spaghetti wires will be hidden behind the cabinet that the PC will sit on. I may even put my "internal" HDDs back there too since I have some fairly long 18" SATA cables. That also means the SATA power wires don't need to go inside the case since the PS will already be outside. I'm going to do proper cable management inside the PC too....:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a 20-24pin PSU adapter cable long-term without issue back with my nForce4 rig.

The main thing I worry with PSU cables is the resistance of their connectors and the resulting heat. It's not a concern unless you are an overclocker using high power components though. Like say overclocking + overvolting a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with only a 4-pin CPU aux connector. ;)

Even better is to plug the 20 pin cable right into the 24 pin connector, it works just fine, was supported and no I was not afraid of anything bad happening at least on the computers where I did this :p

Very recently I learned that it is the same with 8-pin aux connector, which is a connector that bugged me. Thanksfully for that particular computer, I simply read the motherboard manual (before buying anything) which clearly states you can just put a 4-pin in there, leaving half the connector empty. Then I vetted my friend's order of the parts.

Back