"Dad, my CD-thingy won't go in!!!", so I need mous

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
And I walked in to see my daughter trying to jam her DVD drive tray back into her DVD drive even though a corner of it isn't even near going in. :rolleyes:

Anyone heard of any decent deals on DVD players? Nothing fancy, but I'd like to pick up a few solid cheap ones and hopefully a nice new mouse for Daddy too. (I'll poke around Newegg.com later, I'm just in a hurry now. ;) )

EDITED BITS: Made the title reflect me new quest for mouse input, I feel like buying something tonight and my mouse is getting damned old. :)

I SAID I would be looking there later. :oops:

$27us 16x Samsung DVD for $27 shipped and I found a 50 pack of DVDr for around $20 shipped too...

....oh, and either a Razer 7-button ( $58 ), IntelliMouse Optical 5-button & tilt ( $28 ), or a Logitech Blue MX510 ( $40 )....I just can't decide which yet. ;)

(Although I'm leaning heavy towards the M$ one right now, I've been an Intellimouse user for many years now and I pretty much know in advance what I'll be getting...plus it's cheaper. *OOPS* )

EDITED BITS: Fixed some dumb mistakes and thought I'd add the kewl looking M$ wireless mouse for $50. :)

mito said:
"Lazy" would have probably been more aprapo, but I did earn a "stupid" on it.

I just found it amusing the way she reported it to me, I guess ya had to be there. (I also consider it a small miracle that her DVD drive lasted OVER A YEAR! :D )

I think I'll edit the title to include something about a mouse though too, since that's what I hope this turns into a discussion of. :)

My daughter saw me looking and didn't like the DVD player I picked out for her, after much trouble she decided on this one.

I got no problems since it's almost the same price and I've always liked Lite-on, but her reasons were because she wants it instead is because she wants it to say "DVD" on the driver door and she loves that it'll be white to match her kittyputers theme. :)

if you live in the US and you ask for good prices on things before looking at Newegg, yes, you are stupid. :D

You've always liked Lite-On? Why? AFAIK, they make the most, not the best, to quote an unrelated book. I've heard better things about Samsung's optical drives, tho I guess state-subsidized companies aren't any better than ones that push the most of the meh. Eh, optical drives are such a commodity that I'm not sure anything short of a Plextor is anything special. I'd just make sure the drive you buy will be quiet out of the box.

BTW, if you'll be gaming, avoid the MS mice, as the totally smooth wheel motion is bad for FPS weapon switching. The Logitech MX series is just about the best-rated one, AFAIK. Boomslangs seem overpriced and look uncomfortable.

Pete said:
You've always liked Lite-On? Why?
Because they usually have great quality and support as well as being some of the cheapest around.

I've been using Lite-on for years and I have yet to be disapointed by them, and their driver/firmware support really is some of the best around as well as there are a number of people who tend to hack their firmware. ;)

DW, stay away from Samsung DVD's...they suck. The best ones out there - IF you can find them, are the 165/166 Lite-on's. And, as far as a mouse goes, get a Logitech 510 gaming mouse. Amazon had some rebate deals - picked one up a few weeks ago - like $24 after $10 rebate.....only the red ones, of course!

digitalwanderer said:
Pete said:
You've always liked Lite-On? Why?
Because they usually have great quality and support as well as being some of the cheapest around.
I had no idea. I usually don't associate the cheapest with great quality, and my two Lite-On CD-RWs make quite a racket when spinning up. I'd prefer quieter drives from them, but I haven't looked into their drives for a while.

I also didn't know Samsung DVDs were bad.

Pete said:
I usually don't associate the cheapest with great quality
Me neither, but that ain't exactly a bad thing and it really is how it is in this case. :)

On an extry happy note, I told me wife I ordered both and she shrugged it off with a quick nod and a smile. :D

Current Lite-On DVD burners are fantastic. Installed a 16x with dual layer support last month, and it's very quiet. It's also very reliable (thus far) and has had no media problems... It's also teeny, but I might be used to old school 8x DVD-ROM drives.

I just replaced my Logitech MX-300 with a 510 (blue) one. It's pretty decent, but I have a couple of pokes about it.

A. I don't need all of the buttons (most people will like them though)
B. It "sits" higher up in the back than my last mouse, and makes my palm a bit sweaty (ewww.... sweaty palms are not kewl).
C. Does not work with standard Logitech driver (not a big deal unless they don't updated it)

Resolution is better than the old mouse, and I do actually notice it. It's subtle though. Not that it matters much with my mad skillz. :LOL:

Pete said:
I also didn't know Samsung DVDs were bad.

In my limited experience of one drive, they're total sh!te. Slow, noisy, horrible, bad quality, bugged firmware, poor reading ability... Everything concievable that's bad + some extra just for kicks; that samsung had it all.

As for MS intellimouse 4, it's probably great for general computer useage, surfing etc. The mouse wheel is big, so it's easy to use for those who lack finger precision, and the smooth feel is quite enticing when going up and down webpages.

On the downside, the tilt function is a bit flimsy. I wonder how it'll stand up in the long run, and the third button (wheel press) is extremely tough; totally unusable as an action game button as your finger isn't expecting so much resistance. It will add half a second to maybe a full second before your finger builds up enough force to overcome the button...

The wheel CAN be used for weapon switching, it isn't over-sensitive so the lack of notches isn't going to be a killer, but that's also part of the problem. One has to roll the wheel a considerable distance to switch between several weapons and that takes TIME.

So in other words: windows = yes, FPS gaming = no. I bought this mouse for me dad for christmas; he's like 65 years old with big hands, so it should suit him fine. :) He's not an idiot with technical things, he's just not particulary 1337, so I think it'll suit him.

Of course, it's possible to have more than one mouse attached, one gaming mouse and one general useage mouse for example, but as gaming mice are great for general use too for all people except those who need donut-sized scroll wheels, the point of that might be limited. :)

Pete said:
You've always liked Lite-On? Why? AFAIK, they make the most, not the best, to quote an unrelated book. I've heard better things about Samsung's optical drives, tho I guess state-subsidized companies aren't any better than ones that push the most of the meh. Eh, optical drives are such a commodity that I'm not sure anything short of a Plextor is anything special. I'd just make sure the drive you buy will be quiet out of the box.

BTW, if you'll be gaming, avoid the MS mice, as the totally smooth wheel motion is bad for FPS weapon switching. The Logitech MX series is just about the best-rated one, AFAIK. Boomslangs seem overpriced and look uncomfortable.

Don't get a Logitech!!! The the buttons they use are realy cheep. I have two diffrent logitech and the buttons stopped the working after about 4 months of use. I had to soilder new buttons on them from old buttons form roller ball mouse.

Never had any button probs with my Logitech mice (3 of them), and I click A LOT... The scroller wheels can be a little weird sometimes, but buttons are just fine in my experience.

I guess Lite-On is pulling a MSI, then: from mass-market cheap to mass-market quality. Nice.

I had a Logitech Mouseman Wheel whose primary button stopped working b/c the plastic touching the actual button mechanism had got its groove back, so to speak. :) Gluing a strip of floppy disk metal on the underside cured that, but it became pretty clicky after that. Logitech sent me a Dual Optical as a replacement, and I like it a lot. Pity they still have problems with the plastic.

Back