D&D's

mkillio

Regular
So I've enver played Dungeons and Dragons before and I was looking into starting, at elast try it out and I got a couple of people that say they would try it also. Which one should I get and where should I get it from? Also, is there a optimum number of people to play with?

In the D&D theme, I've played "Rolemaster/Merp" (i.e. Middle Earth Role Playing) and also AD&D. I thought the former was better but, in all honesty, it really depends on how good the D.M (Dungeon Master) and the other players are.

I've also played Paranoia, which was just hysterical. "Happiness is Mandatory"

I would think that 4-6 people is probably a good group size - if you have too many it'd be a bit slow.

There are a lot of computer based online D&D games.
They work pretty much the same way as they do in real life.

The Dungeon Master practically creates the scenario, processes the options he gives the players and the like.
Kind of like Neverwinter Nights module editor but much more basic although it achieves the same D&D effect.

I really wish I could remember the name of one I seen ages ago.
There is an MMORPG D&D from Wizards of the Coast.
I'm not entirely sure that Magic the Gathering Online game is D&D but the concepts are pretty much the same.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=welcome/games

If you want something a little different have a look at the World of Darkness series. Although not strictly D&D they are the same kind of thing, but set in modern times with vampires and werewolf's etc.

As Simon says 'Paranoia is supposed to be quite interesting 'The computer is your friend!' :)

CC

K.I.L.E.R said:
There are a lot of computer based online D&D games.
They work pretty much the same way as they do in real life.

The Dungeon Master practically creates the scenario, processes the options he gives the players and the like.
Kind of like Neverwinter Nights module editor but much more basic although it achieves the same D&D effect.

I really wish I could remember the name of one I seen ages ago.
There is an MMORPG D&D from Wizards of the Coast.
I'm not entirely sure that Magic the Gathering Online game is D&D but the concepts are pretty much the same.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=welcome/games

Isn't Magic the Gathering a card game?

Temple of Elemental Evil might be a good stepping stone for learning the combat rules for 3rd edition D&D. It's pretty buggy out of the box, but not too horrible once it's patched up. The game's manual might be a good Cliff Notes-style read for the actual D&D rules books too.

How's the pen'n'paper scene nowadays? Is there one?

It's been like 10 years since I was playing it, and the whole p'n'p thing was petering out then already... Then again, that was here in scandinavia. Good times none the less. Good times indeed. :)

AD&D wasn't all that big here, mostly b/c there wasn't a translated version until the last days of p'n'p. We had our own "domestic" RPGs that were more freeform than (A)D&D. I think they even tried to break into the U.S. market as Target Games with Kult and Mutant Chronicles. Didn't pan out so well apparently. :(

Am I the only one here who was fascinated by D&D and other RPGS, the type who bought and read all the books, yet never actually -played- a single game?

I liked the rules and combat, I liked imagining how things would turn out given x vs y in a fight.

But to be in a room with a bunch of other dorks, trying to roleplay an elf? 'Hark I shall smite thee with my sword + 3 of giantslaying in the pale moonlight'.

No, suspension of disbelief would have been a problem.

If you have any sort of imagination then you will love pen and paper. That is if you really want to do it. It can be quite difficult and boring as you begin, because the confusion sets in. What I would do is find a local scene or a few guys that are into it and start playing with them. They should usually help yo set up an initial character so you can learn the ropes with it. That's really how I got into it.

I always knew a group of friends had played it and really liked it. I wasn't interested until we were out of high school, and then when I showed interest they were happy to help and explain the rules. I learned as we played along, always asking questions when I was really confused. But after a couple months I had stopped asking questions and was really into it. It can be quite involving, but it is worth it because the imagination used in such a game is amazing.

Simon F said:
I've also played Paranoia, which was just hysterical. "Happiness is Mandatory"

Paranoia requires a really good game master and players with the right mindset. Not what I'd recommend for newbies.

The most important observation I've ever made over the years is that the scenario doesn't matter the most. The rules don't matter the most. The gamemaster don't matter the most.

The one thing that you need to think about is: don't EVER try to play with busy people. Because you'll end up tearing your hair out trying to get 4-6 packed schedules to coincide.

"Yes, I'm fairly certain that I'm free for a couple hours on march 16th, 2026, but that could be the day I'm supposed to go visit my aunt, I'll have to check."

Always make sure you have PLENTY OF TIME on your hands, because it takes about an hour plus before everybody have found their characters and sorted out their other stuff, settled, calmed down and is into the game. Plan for when and how you want to eat too, because that always takes up a lot of time as well (order pizza if possible; quick and minimal effort). Make plenty of tea and/or coffee to keep everybody alert. :)

A few hours of play once a week probably isn't enough to make people maintain interest for very long, it gets difficult to remember what you did the last session, or a few sessions before that. You need time to roleplay properly.

Fred said:
Am I the only one here who was fascinated by D&D and other RPGS, the type who bought and read all the books, yet never actually -played- a single game?

I liked the rules and combat, I liked imagining how things would turn out given x vs y in a fight.

But to be in a room with a bunch of other dorks, trying to roleplay an elf? 'Hark I shall smite thee with my sword + 3 of giantslaying in the pale moonlight'.

I was pretty much the same as you, I'm afraid. A big fan of MERP and Rolemaster because of all the lovely tables and rules - bit of a saddo really! I bought loads and loads of the various modules/rule expansions and still have them stored at home somewhere. I should have flogged them on eBay when the Lord of the Rings films were out! ;)

I did play a few games but didn't really get into it properly, possibly because I was playing with friends of a friend rather than people I knew well.

Oh well. There are worse ways to spend your youth, I suppose.

L233 said:
Paranoia requires a really good game master and players with the right mindset. Not what I'd recommend for newbies.

Paranoia was a game invented for the Gamesmaster - thinking up new and nefarious ways to kill off the players' clones!

Mariner said:
A big fan of MERP and Rolemaster because of all the lovely tables and rules
It was things like the "Electrical tables" (?) that were truly classic, with lines like (pardon the paraphrasing because it's been 20 years since I played) "Your target's nervous system is instantly ionised" when you rolled a "100". :)

Not so much fun if you haeppened to be the target of the lightning bolt though 8)

Mariner said:
Paranoia was a game invented for the Gamesmaster - thinking up new and nefarious ways to kill off the players' clones!
Including having the clones trying to kill off each other :)

Me and a couple of my buddies get together once or twice a month to play an ongoing campain (which has been going for around 10 years now). It's really hard to compare the computer version with the pen & paper version besides the rules being almost the same.

The most important part of the p&p version is that you MUST have a good DM. He is the storyteller, and if he isn't successfull... well it's just going to suck. He needs to know the rules relatively well for it to be successful . We usually make a sacrifice to the DM in the way of beer & pizza to show our appreciation for his efforts. Most good DM's have a fair amount of pre-game prep work to do so the players have a positive experience. The DM will make or brake the game. Nuff said. :)

We're currently taking a break for the next month to play some other games (mostly board type games). These include: Axis Vs. Allies, Zombies!!!, and Arkham Horror. :p

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2471 (Link to Zombies!!! game info)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15987 (Arkham Horror)

Fred said:

I actually still have a bunch of RIFTS books. I played on and off with friends way back when we were ~12-14, but it always broke down into silly antics after a while. The books, however, were very very interesting to read.

My D&D group of friends quit playing back in '93, but when we were still having our Saturday night meetings (once or twice/month) I tried getting them to expand their horizons with MERP and Ars Magica, but no luck. Too much effort and expense required to buy and learn new rules books for foreign game systems. So they got stuck with me continuing being the DM from hell, the sadistic bastard who would have the party raped by erinyes devils who would use polymorph self to become men.

Back