D&D is not a game but a cult

K.I.L.E.R said:
Parents are no longer taking responsibility for their kids, so society itself must take up that cup.
Isn't this the real problem? Why are we trying to bail out lousy parents instead of putting the blame where it belongs: With the parents?

This reminds me of the Columbine shootings. The parents said they weren't to blame. Huh? Where were the parents when the kids were in the basement building bombs? Parents need to be supportive and have to take an active interest in their kids' lives. Is that too much to ask?! Ideally, the parent would be an active part of their children's lives, but I don't want to overburden people.

:rolleyes:

I am so sick of people wanting to pass the buck. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions, people! You are not the mindless automotons that mass media says you are!

-FUDie

FUDie said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
Parents are no longer taking responsibility for their kids, so society itself must take up that cup.
Isn't this the real problem? Why are we trying to bail out lousy parents instead of putting the blame where it belongs: With the parents?

This reminds me of the Columbine shootings. The parents said they weren't to blame. Huh? Where were the parents when the kids were in the basement building bombs? Parents need to be supportive and have to take an active interest in their kids' lives. Is that too much to ask?! Ideally, the parent would be an active part of their children's lives, but I don't want to overburden people.

:rolleyes:

I am so sick of people wanting to pass the buck. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions, people! You are not the mindless automotons that mass media says you are!

-FUDie

The parents of the attackers are not solely to blame. The real blame lies with many people.

It lies with the parents of the children who mock and ridicule the outcast classmates on a daily basis are partially to blame for allowing their children to create monsters out of otherwise ordinary kids. They need to teach their children to respect others' right to exist without being scorned, no matter how different they are. Unfortunately that's hard to do if the parents themselves are incapable of acting respectfully to their fellow man.

It lies with the parents of the children who plan and carry out the attacks, who should be more vigilant in making sure their kids don't have access to firearms and explosives, including periodical inspections of areas that the kids might hide such things. If you have guns in the house, make sure they're all accounted for and properly secured before leaving for the day. These are adolescents; you're not going to be able to monitor them 24/7, and you shouldn't have to. They should have earned a right to a certain degree of privacy by the time they hit puberty. But the parents should interact with their kids enough to know when something serious is bothering them, even if they try to hide it.

It lies with school teachers and administrators who allow an atmosphere of intolerance, intimidation, and ridicule to exist in the school. Schools are not just for learning academia, but also to learn social skills. Unfortunately no schools hire teachers to monitor and instruct children on how they interact in hallways and parking lots. If someone is caught taunting a classmate, they are usually not punished. Tolerating an enviroment where disrespectful behavior breeds hate and contempt should never be allowed. Nobody has to like everyone, but the Golden Rule should be enforced all the way through graduation. I don't think anyone has shot a classmate or teacher because they were treated indifferently.

Back