D&D is not a game but a cult

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I think people should stop playing anything D&D.
There have been many suicides that are related to D&D.

Why do these people commit suicide?
They are influenced by D&D to the point they cannot tell the difference between D&D and reality.
These people prior to their D&D addiction were normal people, socially active and had no history of mental illness.

What this says is that D&D can turn normal people into violent suicidal criminals which could end up being potential homicide bombers.
Society needs to take action against such evil influences.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Life has caused lots more suicide. In fact, life is the root cause of ALL suicide!

I think we all ought to stop living so people won't suicide as much anymore. Besides, it would be good for the environment too.

Guden Oden said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
Life has caused lots more suicide. In fact, life is the root cause of ALL suicide!

I think we all ought to stop living so people won't suicide as much anymore. Besides, it would be good for the environment too.

These people prior to their D&D addiction were normal people, socially active and had no history of mental illness.

Maybe next time you could read my post rather than glance at a line or 2?

Maybe an outright ban isn't realistic but at least control who can play it.
Parents are no longer taking responsibility for their kids, so society itself must take up that cup.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Maybe next time you could read my post rather than glance at a line or 2?

Maybe an outright ban isn't realistic but at least control who can play it.
Parents are no longer taking responsibility for their kids, so society itself must take up that cup.

Maybe you should learn the definition of the word causality before posting.

Or is this thread another one of your "I need attention" efforts?

Obsessive compulsive disorder can lead to death.
If obsession had been treated then suicide would have been prevented. Do you know what causality is John?

If parents would have restricted the kids from getting too involved with D&D or even prevented them from playing it until an older age then the problems would have been prevented.

If parents wont supervise their kids, then governments need to step in and do something that will fix the issues surrounding it.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Do you know what causality is John?

Yes, I do. You, however, apparent don't since I just see claims being pulled out of your ass. Go find a credible study that supports your statements in this thread and then we'll talk.

You needn't have responded to this thread if you didn't want to discuss the issue I've raised. We'll end our OT discussion right here John.

Anyone who's willing to discuss this further with me can continue.

What John is saying is where is the proof that playing D&D leads to people killing themselves?

I have never seen anything like that. I have played D&D myself a few times, am I now at risk of commiting suicide?

CC

All I know is that my 9th level cleric could kick all of your asses 8)

P.S. Is this forum reality of fiction? From my perpective it's very hard to tell.

I'm just ignoring John because I don't like his tone.

There is no solid proof that D&D does lead to suicide directly.
I play D&D myself a lot and I'm addicted to it although I'm no where even close to being suicidal.

However there are a lot of impressionable young children who play these games at very young ages, become addicted and can arguably cause problems.

I've done some reading regarding the myth of games causing violence and whatnot and it's not clear cut as the media would like everyone to believe.
You cannot rule out the possibility that children as young as 8 years old and very impressonable by these things can hurt themselves if the parents don't supervise them.

This is no different than leaving a child in a room full of acid or dangerous goods. We all know eventually the child will get hurt and the most obvious solution is to keep the child away from the room.

Captain Chickenpants said:
What John is saying is where is the proof that playing D&D leads to people killing themselves?

I have never seen anything like that. I have played D&D myself a few times, am I now at risk of commiting suicide?

CC

You read too many Murdoch publications, K.I.L.E.R. You are starting to think like a trashy right-wing tabloid.

K.I.L.E.R said:

I play D&D myself a lot and I'm addicted to it although I'm no where even close to being suicidal.

However there are a lot of impressionable young children who play these games at very young ages, become addicted and can arguably cause problems.

I've done some reading regarding the myth of games causing violence and whatnot and it's not clear cut as the media would like everyone to believe.
You cannot rule out the possibility that children as young as 8 years old and very impressonable by these things can hurt themselves if the parents don't supervise them.

This is no different than leaving a child in a room full of acid or dangerous goods. We all know eventually the child will get hurt and the most obvious solution is to keep the child away from the room.

I have to see this is nonsense.

Playing a game such as this encourages use of the imagination, something that many people can benefit from.

These games are done as part of a group, which means that kids are having social interaction. I beleive that many suicides are loners.

Roleplaying games provide an escape from reality for a short while, if a kid has some kind of stress/problem in real life they can leave it behind for a bit and have a bit of fun.

Yes this kind of game can get obsessive people addicted, but certain personality types will get addicted to things, at least this is not harmful unlike many other things which are addictive.

CC

I have never seen anything like that.
A few kids, a few years ago, here in France commited suicide because of Role Playing Games (Their characters in the game would die, and they couldn't accept this fact...).

Those events led to a good ol' and complete Witch Hunt. Fun times...
I have played D&D myself a few times, am I now at risk of commiting suicide?
Yeah, probably, one cannot rule out this possibility, but first start working on a demo about ducks that tops the Sony's one. Just in case...

I agree with your views Captain Chickenpants, but I also don't discount the view that games may also be harmful.

I'm just open minded about these things. Like I said, am I suicidal becuase I'm addicted to D&D?

K.I.L.E.R said:

I have to see this is nonsense.

Playing a game such as this encourages use of the imagination, something that many people can benefit from.

These games are done as part of a group, which means that kids are having social interaction. I beleive that many suicides are loners.

Roleplaying games provide an escape from reality for a short while, if a kid has some kind of stress/problem in real life they can leave it behind for a bit and have a bit of fun.

Yes this kind of game can get obsessive people addicted, but certain personality types will get addicted to things, at least this is not harmful unlike many other things which are addictive.

CC

A local kid committed suicide back in the early '80s and was in fact largely the inspiration for the horrible TV movie that starred Tom Hanks. The media went into a feeding frenzy over his death, somehow attributing it to the fact that he played DnD. What they left out was that he'd had a terrible home life. For example, when his parents divorced during his teens the custody battle was over who had to take him (neither parent wanted custody).

My mom heard about his suicide on the radio one night while driving home from work and immediately tried confiscating my DnD books. I told her I'd commit suicide if she took them. 8)

Vysez said:
Yeah, probably, one cannot rule out this possibility, but first start working on a demo about ducks that tops the Sony's one. Just in case...

Hehehe I don't work on that side of things. I work on drivers for video related stuff.
There is a photo of one of our famous ninja ducks on flickr see if you can find it :)

CC

I personally think that if a kid gets TO involved with his D&D character to the point of suicide, then he/she DID have issues before they started the game. You could make the same argument for Video Games (maybe not the suicide argument) as far as mentally screwing you up. I feel the real issue is that kids are left alone with their "toys" while the parents use these things as a crutch.

Now if where talking about really young children playing these games...then I can see the bad in that since they probably don't understand that its just a game. They get to emotionaly attached to their character..then something bad happens. I believe the resolution would be allowing the game to be played, but reinforce the player (if its a young kid) that this is just a game and doesn't affect you in any other way outside of the game.

John Reynolds said:
My mom heard about his suicide on the radio one night while driving home from work and immediately tried confiscating my DnD books. I told her I'd commit suicide if she took them. 8)
hehe, i know i couldnt have lived without my dnd books either. My mom kept on referring to it as the dragon stuff.

epic

Back