Creative releases beta drivers & H/W support for Doom3

They can't even host their own beta drivers or at least provide direct links? :?

EDITED BITS: My bad, they are hosting and have one with a direct link to the betas.

I can't find a link to the D3 eax patch to save me butt though. :?

There is no doom3 patch v1.3 is there?

I've installed the drivers , so far so good nothing exploded pc is still running :oops:

digitalwanderer said:
tEd said:
There is no doom3 patch v1.3 is there?
That's the same thing I'm wondering, are they talking about the 1.1 patch or a new one?

I've seen if you have installed the D3 AddOn you will have v1.2 but not v1.3. Hopefully Id will release the patch in the near future

_xxx_ said:
Great, now they invented a new oxymoron - "audio anti-aliasing" :rolleyes:

I thought it's necessary to have anti-aliasing in order to have nice sound. ;)

pcchen said:
_xxx_ said:

:LOL: I believe they mean something else than avoiding the aliasing coming from the too low sample rate, though...

_xxx_ said:
:LOL: I believe they mean something else than avoiding the aliasing coming from the too low sample rate, though...

Lol, I'm not sure WHAT they mean. Once audio is aliased, fixing it magically with math isn't exactly the way to go. Just start over with a 44.1Khz sample. Why does Doom3 use 22KHz samples anyway? WTH. Creative has had this 8-point interpolation since EMU10K1 (Live!). Hell, I think EMU had sample rate interpolation in EMU8000 on AWE32 cards, but just for MIDI in that case (the waveset ROMs were pretty low quality so they get soaped up by the synth chip).

People have been bitching about Creative's automatic sample rate conversion forever. The card's DSP runs at 48KHz no matter what you do. And they resample everything different back to 48KHz. So you get artifacts from that. I actually think that this is part of AC97 spec though.......not positive though.

I'm pretty sure things like SSRC are better than Creative's DSPs. Of course, Creative's DSPs do it with zero performance hit. And Audigy 2 may do it particularly well.

edit: sure thing, EMU8000 even interpolated. Though it did it for different reasons. Reasons that are less important today with the loss of game MIDI.

_xxx_ said:
pcchen said:
_xxx_ said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that, I cant speak for sound cards, but most CD players have multiple levels of oversampling to overcome the deficiencies of encoding sound in 16bit at 44Khz.

Has to be said, I think we should be seeing support in games and hardware for higher precision sound.

What I'd really love though is a sound card that has a clean output signal.

Get this right, Ive got 3 sound cards in my PC. A Santa cruz, digifire 7.1 and onboard (Abit Kv7a). All of them do this, I turn the volume right up and its fairly quiet (my amp is loud) - an acceptable level of noise. But if I select a window and drag it (which turns it transparent coz of nview) each time it repaints it I get a loud click through my speakers. When my 6800 is doing other things it does the same. Im thinking its probably noise along the powerline perhaps but it pisses me off, does it on all 3 cards.

EMI interference perhaps, or modulation in the power supply's output voltage like you said. On my old PC I could hear activity on the AGP interface even though the soundcard was located in the farthest-away slot in the box...

You could try putting ferrite beads on the power lead to your vidcard, maybe that'll help, but I really doubt it.

Make sure you mute everything except Wave and MIDI (use Properties in the mixer to add every possible output/input). Also, if you have a CD analog wire running to your sound card from your cdrom, that could be the problem.

I reckon it is the power, coz it does it on all 3 cards exactly the same.

Got a cheapo 500w PSU (cost £15 new) so thats probably it. You'd ythink they'd have some power smoothing going into the cards amp psu though ffs.

I'd also like to see dual phono outputs, or perhaps even a little external DAC or summit, I dunno.

Back