Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that game/effect? *DC tech retrospective *spawn

As far as draw distance goes, when they implement lightning on PS2/PC level I expect performance to drop considerably. Xbox has similar draw distance to PS2, and thats console easier to utilise with game released two years after PS2.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as draw distance goes, when they implement lightning on PS2/PC level I expect performance to drop considerably. Xbox has similar draw distance to PS2, and thats console easier to utilise with game released two years after PS2.
We should also expect to gain some performance when they cut the Lods distance to PS2 levels right now the game renders way beyond that the game on PS2, but yes lightning won't come free.

Interesting comparison, but that's presumably not the latest build as the framerate is the slow, choppy one and it doubled since then. Edit: later in the vid with the reboot it runs much smoother. What's the difference?

Why's the 2D artwork so low res?

Interesting comparison, but that's presumably not the latest build as the framerate is the slow, choppy one and it doubled since then. Edit: later in the vid with the reboot it runs much smoother. What's the difference?

It's not just the 2D artwork, all the textures are low res compared to even PS2, which is saying something.

This video shows just how much work there is to do on this port.

This video shows what people will do to get views and likes in their YouTube account, he used an old build, and the game is nowhere near finished he should have waited, the game looks and runs better than that in the current build even in the most recent build at the time that video was published...

Because the tool they use downgrades everything without being able to tell what it is. Funny part though after the conversions done they did a tally and a lot of DC textures are 64x64 while PS2 are mostly 32x32 4 bit color / 8 bit color. We are talking thousands.

They got music working working a surprisingly the whole game plus music/sound files is like 780 MB or so of data. This while keeping the quality exactly the same just converting native format.

Edit: they even got the plane working .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240820-163700.png
    Screenshot_20240820-163700.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 25
It think it is Total BS to compare a fan port to a finished product.

Even the state the port is in right now is absolute 100% proof that rockstar or whoever the developer is could have easily made a Dreamcast port. It could have even run at a higher resolution with better texture filtering but maybe less fill rate intensive full screen effects.

Trying to downplay a fan port is what causes the gaming gods to make final fantasy 13 multiplatform, I hope PlayStation fans realise that

It think it is Total BS to compare a fan port to a finished product.
Not at all. It's how you measure progress. the problem is jumping to conclusions, extrapolating unfairly; not in the comparison itself which can and should be objective.
Even the state the port is in right now is absolute 100% proof that rockstar or whoever the developer is could have easily made a Dreamcast port.
That certainly seems the case, upending some people's assumptions. We only know this because the comparison has been made and it came out favourably.

How exactly Neon 250 stacks against CLX in DC? Also, what about PIII 800 vs SH4?

While Neon can run GTA3, it's... not exactly like PS2.

Even the state the port is in right now is absolute 100% proof that rockstar or whoever the developer is could have easily made a Dreamcast port. It could have even run at a higher resolution with better texture filtering but maybe less fill rate intensive full screen effects.
You need 640x480 if you want tile-renderer happy. PS2 renders at 640x448 so no upgrade here.

How exactly Neon 250 stacks against CLX in DC? Also, what about PIII 800 vs SH4?

While Neon can run GTA3, it's... not exactly like PS2.

You need 640x480 if you want tile-renderer happy. PS2 renders at 640x448 so no upgrade here.

Neon 250 was considerably cut down relative to the GPU in the Dreamcast. Dreamcast had hardware acceleration for some things that were offloaded to the CPU on PC.

Dreamcast also didn't have OS and driver overheads like a Windows PC running a Neon 250.

And here's the thing: neither did the PS2.

Surfing the source code for the regta 3 I found this line.

RwCameraSetFarClipPlane(Scene.camera, 2000.0f); // 250.0f on PS2 but who cares

So right now if I understandi it correctly, the DC version since it is based on the PC decompilation is running 8x distant clipping compared to the ps2 version. lol.

So right now if I understandi it correctly, the DC version since it is based on the PC decompilation is running 8x distant clipping compared to the ps2 version. lol.
LAST WARNING: THIS THREAD IS ABOUT TO BE TERMINATED

I've had enough of this. The trolling and fanboy warring like no-one's learnt anything in twenty years. We have posters capable of technical discussion getting drawn into trading jibes, new agents appearing bringing in baggage from other forums, and despite repeated requests for everyone to remain as technical engineers in discussion, pursuing the the truth, you just can't handle it. GTA has proven too controversial a topic for this thread. At first I was thinking of banning members from the thread but I'm really struggling to separate the good from the bad as everyone seems affected. Ergo, one more snarky remark, 'lol', ad hominem, reference to some discussions outside of this forum, or anything I don't like the look of, this thread gets closed. All of it on the actions of the next jerk kiddy poster. You can take the GTA discussion elsewhere where standards are as low as yours.

You will engage in technical discussion only referencing technology and ideally providing sources. If you can't do that and only want to post cheering, don't post.

Back