Closing the R520 thread is just plain wrong.

There was and is no justification for closing the R520 "rumor thread".

Who flipping cares if its all retred. In fact its not its further discussion on confirmed or not confirmed or suggested or whatever information that keeps rolling out off some sites.

Unless there is a specific issue where you guys are concerned that the database is going to get corrupted or somthing then the R520 rumor thread discussion should be reopened.

I would like to get accross to you how not happy i am about this even though i am being calm. Doing crap like this "just becuase you can and you want to show us all your mighty power or something" doesnt cut it in my book. It wasnt hurting anyone and it has been and continues to be an entertaining discussion.

My opinion is that Beyond3D is no rumor mill, if you have anything interesting to say you can open a new thread, otherwise it's just fine.

Too much noise, not enough infos...

It seems to me the thread carried far too off topic. As tempting as it is to go into those threads and just post a bunch of mumbo jumbo. I myself tend not too. This is the 3rd time this has happened "If I recall correctly" due to discussion carrying fary too off topic. And alot of the speculation there was a little crazy in my opinion.

I doubt Neeyik/Dave closed that thread simply to "show people" they have power. But rather to stop the fact that no one was actually reading the thread and just continously posting links that have already been covered and rehashing the same topic over and over again. Besides it is my opinion that Beyond3d is probably one of the most leniant forums in regards to moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like as little moderation as possible but thread with 1600+ replies!!! that has gone on long enough. Who would want to read all that (or just half of it) to find out whether the point that they put forward was already discussed earlier.

There is a nice rehash at the end which is what was desperately needed ;) the simple point is that it all is just too much and well if/when something new comes I am sure it will be discussed again.

This subject has been broached with the mods and those who mostly moderate inside of 3D Graphics and Hardware agreed that the thread is unweildy and too full of useless posts, with no real effort by some of the posters in there to stay on topic.

That said, there's nothing stopping people starting a new thread that's on-topic and carrying on the discussion. Pete's summary gives a nice starting point for that.

So if you want to talk R5-series, Hellbinder (or anyone else), start a new, relevant, on-topic thread and carry it on. There's no ban on R5 chat, just we've nipped it in the bud in that instance.

Ingenu said:
My opinion is that Beyond3D is no rumor mill, if you have anything interesting to say you can open a new thread, otherwise it's just fine.

Too much noise, not enough infos...
Whats "not a rumor"? Anything but an offical comment by the respective company?

IMHO which doesn't clearly doesn't not reflect b3d staff's rumours should be fine as long as their is clearly and logical discussion. Though there was a fair bit of rubish going on.

Swimming into "if" is clearly wastefull to me.
("rumor mill" = "With ifs you could put Paris in a bottle")

Too many 'if', not enough infos, not enough on topic posts, some bad posts reported lead to "close that topic, they'll make a new one if they really feel like they have anything interesting to say."

Posters don't really make a distinction from fact and rumour and people like me are in the firing line.
I believe it should be up to posters to clarify the difference and giant threads discussing rumours are usually thought as being factual due to the belief that size = good info.

A thread being full of rumor discussion is not a reason to close it. All discussion except for that which is explicitly technical is opinion, conjecture or rumor. Go ahead and close all the threads in the console forum, the game forum, the general forum etc etc etc.

If Beyond3d is not a place for "rumor threads" then neither is it a place for 90% of the people here so we should close everything but the 3d architecture furum and close everyones account not able to carry a conversation there.

Oh wait, If we throw all the common people under the bus, then i guess there wont be the same readership which = no hardware sent to you for reviews.

Maybe Beyond3d is not the same as it was 5 years ago anymore. Maybe its time for some people here to embrace that or toss the readership and get back to the extreme techno side of it only.

Maybe this didn't make much sense the first time you read it:

So if you want to talk R5-series, Hellbinder (or anyone else), start a new, relevant, on-topic thread and carry it on. There's no ban on R5 chat, just we've nipped it in the bud in that instance.

btw, How was anyting in that thread "off toipic". When the Title was *R520 Rumors, Speculation & the lot*. ??

The thread covered everything from pipelines to discussions of a Ring bus, to Drviers and performance. Which the latter is a bit off topic but not really that bad.

Ok, I have said My peace. I am going back to my starbucks now.

A thread that has 1642 replies is simply too unwieldy to manage, for either readers or mods. It should have been split into several threads long ago, but it wasn't. This is the best choice. It's not like they've said, "No R520 discussion for YOU!", just "Hey, let's not have an 80 page thread." Considering near the end you'd have all sorts of people jump in with, "Hey, yeah, I didn't read anything before this, but I heard that (insert something that was discussed 20 pages before)!"

Also: I knew a guy who claimed to spend upwards of $60 a week on Starbucks. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE.

Rys said:
Maybe this didn't make much sense the first time you read it:

No I understood it. I simply had to answer some of the responses here. Now i am officially done opine-ing on the subject.

(as in i promise not to turn this thread into a 400 page one ;) )

edit :: (btw i would feel exactly the same way about an interesting Nvidia topic or pvr topic or xxxxxxx topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
It should have been closed earlier and a new thread created. 60 plus pages is too much for anyone to read through, especially considering the majority of it was rubbish and pure speculation.

Back