clarkdale pic

mczak

Veteran
just saw this:
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13587...ale_on_cpu_igp_look_like_look_here/index.html
First clarkdale pic I've seen where you can figure out die size...
Package size is 37.5 x 37.5 mm, by my pixel count estimates clarkdale cpu is thus about 9.4 x 8.3 mm = 78 mm² - just below die size of penryn-3m (82 mm²) but a good bit below penryn-6m (107 mm^2). Of course, the MC/IGP is quite a bit larger (about 12.8 x 9.3 mm = 119 mm², 50% larger than the cpu core...
In any case, this small 32nm die should help intel to produce quite large amounts of these chips even if they only have limited fab capacity (not quite sure how 32nm fabs many they've got now, d1d oregon should be 32nm since quite a while, d1c was scheduled for 32nm production q4 2009). 45nm fab capacity for the daughter die should be plentiful.

What's the GPU in this ? PowerVR ?
No. It's Ironlake, another Gen4 intel igp (that is, another derivative of the igp which first appeared in i965g). It is supposedly faster, got a few new tricks, also got some new clip unit, supposedly should close the gap to nvidia/amd igps a bit (not that it really matters it's not like you had a choice what IGP to get...).

Back