Choice of aspect ratio for games *spawn

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Malo, Oct 12, 2014.

1. L. Scofield

Veteran

4:3 is 1.33. 7:5 is 1.4. What a difference.

16:9 is 1.77 and of course there's cinema's 2.35:1 which I think I don't need to convert.

IMAX completely encompasses the visual field and it is 4:3.

2. Jedi2016

Veteran

Aspect ratio is movies is done for different reasons than exist in games. "Artistic vision" is perhaps the only reason that applies to both. And, in the only three instances I can think of, of 2.35 games, it's a lie.. it was done for performance reasons to cut down the number of pixels rendered.

Gaming isn't about watching a movie, even with something like Beyond. They should always fill whatever screen they're being played on, period, the end. For me, that's 16:9, but it's not the same for everyone.. some folks are still rocking 4:3, while others have moved on to 21:9. It should allow for all of them.

Human FOV is pointless unless you're playing on a display that takes up your entire field of vision. Which none of us are, so stop it.

3. zed

zed
    Veteran

you heard of virtual reality?

4. Davros

Legend

I am

5. Jedi2016

Veteran

The Rift doesn't take up your entire field of vision. And yes, that's from personal experience. It's also about six or seven million pixels shy of being where it needs to be. A discussion for another place, methinks.