Chip to convert excess heat into energy?

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Erm.... Don't know what to think...

We can smell hints of vaporware from miles away, and while Phantom has certainly personified the term in recent situations, Eneco is well on its way to joining the fray. While it's impossible to completely disregard the firm's miraculous claims just yet, we certainly aren't sold on the micro-sized "solid state energy conversion / generation chip, which will convert heat directly into electricity or alternatively refrigerate down to -200 degrees Celsius when electricity is applied."

-200°C? Damn, thats just 19° short of turning air into its liquid form. Thats close, but I dont buy it until it reaches -219°C, I predict it will fail because of this very reason

Sounds like they're using minaturized Seebeck elements. That would fit with the heating / cooling use and the heat energy conversion. However, the properties that are claimed by that "firm" are entirely bullshit, IMO.

Sounds like they're using minaturized Seebeck elements. That would fit with the heating / cooling use and the heat energy conversion. However, the properties that are claimed by that "firm" are entirely bullshit, IMO.
Well, they might use an on-chip cascade, but that in itself would be quite an accomplishment on many levels.

I read some of the Slashdot comments about this article and it cracks me up how many people make uneducated remarks. This is not a perpetual motion machine and I don't believe the developers are claiming such. I've been casually following this type of technology for a while now and I've been waiting for someone to get it right. I agree with hupfinsgack that Eneco is taking advantage of the Seebeck effect. Their improvement seems to be in efficiency and their "solving" the challenge of maintaining a heat differential. Power Chips claims to have even better efficiency than Eneco.

The Seebeck effect devices I've read about perform better when there is a large temperature differential between the hot and cold sides of the device. As we all know it's difficult to keep something cold if there is a heat element near it so I'm curious to see how Eneco's device performs in practice.

I know that scientists at Lund University in Sweden have gotten pretty far on that subject. Read an article three years ago in the local newspaper about it. I think they mentioned it was more than a decade away from practical use.

I had never heard of this tech before stumbling on this article (thanks to gmail and its links... err...).

If something like this really does materialise, even in 10 or 20 years, it could mean that the huge headache we're gonna have to energy in a few years time could vanish. No more waste of energy would solve many problems we will have, such as oil reserves drying up and even pollution.

Hopefully someone will get it right...

If something like this really does materialise, even in 10 or 20 years, it could mean that the huge headache we're gonna have to energy in a few years time could vanish. No more waste of energy would solve many problems we will have, such as oil reserves drying up and even pollution.

Hopefully someone will get it right...

That won't happen. The heat-energy conversion is not the point of this. Converting heat into energy via Seebeck is a bad idea, especially on the large scale of power plants etc. Moreover, the significance of this technology lies somewhere else. If that thing really works it makes for a more energy efficient cooling solution that is completely noiseless. So this would ideal for Laptops, etc. Using this to generate energy would mean that you're not cooling your chip (remember this depends on the temperature differential between hot chip and cold surrounding). Not a good idea.

I think turning heat into energy is most useful as a way to make other forms of energy generation or use more efficient. It will also be useful for generating power in situations that aren't practical with other methods. Initial approaches are starting small.

Thermo Life has a small generator that can be used to provide power in situations where replacing batteries can be difficult.
http://www.poweredbythermolife.com/

That won't happen. The heat-energy conversion is not the point of this. Converting heat into energy via Seebeck is a bad idea, especially on the large scale of power plants etc. Moreover, the significance of this technology lies somewhere else. If that thing really works it makes for a more energy efficient cooling solution that is completely noiseless. So this would ideal for Laptops, etc. Using this to generate energy would mean that you're not cooling your chip (remember this depends on the temperature differential between hot chip and cold surrounding). Not a good idea.

But... but... but....

I thought you could just put these things in your kitchen and they'd produce energy from all the heat when i'm cooking pasta... and stuff...

I mean, i could put some in my bedroom, temperatures reach alarming levels in here at times! :LOL:

Some formulas:

Th = Absolute temperature at hot side
Tc = Absolute temperature at cold side
Qh = Thermal energy difference at hot side
Qc = Thermal energy difference at cold side
W = Electrical energy
n = efficiency

Theoretical max efficiency n of converting thermal energy to electrical form. Qh is taken from hot side , Qc is released at cold side, W is the electrical power you get out.
n = W/Qh
n = 1-Tc/Th

If you want to give temperatures in ºC, then the formula is
n = 1-(tc+273.15)/(th+273.15)

But all practical examples are usually a lot worse than this maximum.
Try a couple of hot and cold temperatures in that formula, and you'll see that the efficiency is usually quite low. And Qh is the energy that is transfered into the device, any heat energy that sneaks by it by other means (probably a lot in most cases) will further reduce the efficiency.

Extracting electrical energy from body heat will probably give an efficiency of a couple percent. And unless you've got a full body suite to pick up the energy, you'll only pass a small amount of your produced energy through the device. Ie, you could probably power a wrist watch, but not much more.

If you want to save energy when you're cooking your pasta, it's a lot more efficient to simply not generate so much heat. With a pot that is thermally insulated on all sides (except the bottom :smile:), you could turn down the power a lot and save much more energy than you could ever reclaim. I know that cooking pasta with the lid on can be tricky, with high risk of boiling over or the pasta sticking to the bottom. But that's a different story.
:smile:

If you want a good efficiency, you'd need some real temp differences. To get the claimed 30% efficiency, they probably need the 600ºC they said it could handle. But if they actually can get that kind of efficiency, and build a device where most of the heat from a fire pass through the device (ie, the exhaust is close to ambient temperature), then it would be in the same range as the efficiency of a good combustion engine. That could actually be useful.

The followup question is, I wonder how much power those chips can handle, and what they cost?
If they can be made reasonabely cheap, they could be useful as a portable electrical generator.

Hmm.. what temperatures can you get from a camp fire? Sitting by the camp fire in the middle of the woods, and powering the laptop from the fire could maybe add a dimension to playing Doom3 (or your favourite scary game). :devilish:

Here's an interesting article from New Scientist magazine that I read a couple years ago. You need a subscription to read the entire article, but here's the summary. I don't remember if the article mentions any specific companies. It is ironic that the article mentions the technology has now arrived yet 2 years later there are still no products on the market.

The wasted energy from your car's exhaust could soon replace its battery

REACH out and feel the bonnet of your idling car, or the back of a running computer, refrigerator or television. You may not be using the warmth you feel, but you certainly are paying for it. Every time you fill up the car with fuel, or draw current from the mains in your house, as much as half of the energy will be lost as heat.

If only there were a reliable way to mop up that wasted heat and turn it into something useful. Well, now there is. Thanks to a new method of controlling the quantum particles known as phonons, power plants, generators and even your car exhaust could soon be turning waste heat into usable electric current.

The technology has taken nearly 200 years to arrive. In 1821, German physicist Thomas Seebeck noticed strange magnetic effects when he heated one side of a metal circuit. The explanation ...
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18324635.100-heat-wave.html

If that thing really works it makes for a more energy efficient cooling solution that is completely noiseless.
You sure? Even 30% of perfect conversion is not that much. For a 50 deg. CPU in 25 deg. ambient air, 30% of Carnot is something like 2.3% of heat transfer going to electrical energy. I don't see that making much difference, and that's under the assumption that the back side is room temp. What exactly did you have pictured?

The application to cooling seems to be the -200 stuff they're talking about, which actually makes things far less efficient. A 100W CPU can be cooled to -200 deg if you're willing to pump 100W*(323/98 - 1) = 342W of electrical energy into it, as long as you can also exhaust all 442W out at 50 deg. And that's assuming 100% efficient refridgeration. ;)

Nope, extreme refridgeration ain't pretty.

Back