CES 2014: JANUARY 7-10, 2014

so how do you make electrons go faster inside all that copper wiring inside the smart bits. you would need an end to end optical system. they would have to add inter frame spacing or something like that with exsisting systems. The other point is that 8nm SMF as it stands doesn't have a throughput limit, so unfortunatly the ROI on replacing ~3million km of cabling just to on average drop your latency by 1/2 ( processing/switching delay across all the devices in a path is significant) doesn't seem like it's ever going to get off the ground .

We'll I am not an expert in this sector but I read that researchers/scientists are thinking to use graphene.

My point is anyway that there is room for improvements in many areas so we should not doom cloud gaming alredy because the infrastructures are not yet there or because it's not as good as it could/should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
invent almost anything and im sure you can find a niche :LOL:. give that trading is low throughput that is likely one area where you could just effectively replace the cable/transceivers and be done with it.

Straying a little off topic :)

Well you should be able to make profit on it,however niche it is. This shows of how cutthroat the HFT game is.

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2536492

In many markets, the length of the cable within the same building is a competitive advantage. Some facilities such as the Mahwah, New Jersey, NYSE (New York Stock Exchange) data center have rolls of fiber so that every cage has exactly the same length of fiber running to the exchange cages.3

I have to say, I am intrigued about PlayStation Now / Gakai on a mere technology level. Sure, it's just a remote-play feature on a "internet" scale, but IMO, there are some other hurdles I see that I will be quite interested to see how they solve.

For one, how will the solution be sold? Will you have an account, possibly your PSN-id that is linked to the service? And where will you save your progress? I would assume, this would happen in the "cloud", as there wouldn't be much sense to copy data to a local destination and back again when needed.

Also, what will happen once your internet dies on you and you are in the middle of a game? How will it handle the games progress and your session? Would it be easy to re-connect and if yes, how long would that session stay open for you? Would there be some mechanic to perhaps save the state of the game that it could be resumed, even after the session was force-closed?

Then of course, there's the whole issue with latency. I really can't imagine myself wanting such a service for this very reason. Perhaps as a way to demo games, but when I think back at some of the most memorable PS3 times I've had, I really don't think I would want to replay them through a highly compressed feed with added latency (even if consistent).

Maybe technology has progressed quite far on these grounds, but I am somewhat fearful of Sony investing large sums of money into a technology that is inherently flawed. Flawed in the sense that while it might be doable and workable for many games, it won't be for others - and thus, people will either dismiss it and not use it at all.

I guess I would rather buy an expensive add-on with shrinked PS3 in it (even if it's $100) that I could connect to my PSx to re-play by old purchased games. In that sense, I actually thought the ability to rebuy old PSone classics on PSN was actually a good idea and had more potential than some complicated streaming service that relies on large PS3-server-farms that may go unused.

Then of course, there's the whole issue with latency. I really can't imagine myself wanting such a service for this very reason. Perhaps as a way to demo games, but when I think back at some of the most memorable PS3 times I've had, I really don't think I would want to replay them through a highly compressed feed with added latency (even if consistent).

This is why I hope Sony allows PS3 owners to host PS3 titles locally and remedy some of the issues that internet streaming presents. Its would essentially be PS+ with a broader scope. Once the PS Now subscription is cancelled so is your access to the PS3 games housed in your PS3's HDD.

Just run ethernet from your modem to your PS3 and remote play from a PS4, Vita, iOS/Android devices or PC.

This is why I hope Sony allows PS3 owners to host PS3 titles locally and remedy some of the issues that internet streaming presents. Its would essentially be PS+ with a broader scope. Once the PS Now subscription is cancelled so is your access to the PS3 games housed in your PS3's HDD.

Just run ethernet from your modem to your PS3 and remote play from a PS4, Vita, iOS/Android devices or PC.

I think you are missing the step where the encoding is done.

Back