Bowflex

Sonic said:
It's an all right machine that is good if you're not too into the freeweihts or don't have the room for a decent home gym. Also good for when you don't have time to go to the gym. While the workout itself might not be as good as free weights it shouldn't really matter unless you're doing serious bodybuilding. You should be able to add a good 20 lbs. of muscle in a short time if you are really into it. Even adding 5 lbs. of muscle to your whole body will make you look a whole lot better. Remember to eat right! Protein is just as important as carbs, fat is less so, but fish oil is good and so is flaxseed.

Time was and is a big consideration for me. Most of the carbs I eat are in the from of vegetables. I eat very little pasta and breads. Though cookies with chocolate will always be my weakness. Insofar as fats are concerned I read a interesting book many years ago (Beyond Pritikin) which dealt with dietary fat and how processing it makes it difficult for the body to utilize for the production of prostaglandins.

wonder how this is on a bad back . Free weights start to hurt my back before i get a good work out (hurniated l5)

jvd said:
wonder how this is on a bad back . Free weights start to hurt my back before i get a good work out (hurniated l5)

You should only do exorcises that don't strain the back vertically. No inclined or vertical military presses. Only back exorcises laying on your stomach or back on a bench.

PC-Engine said:
You should only do exorcises that don't strain the back vertically. No inclined or vertical military presses. Only back exorcises laying on your stomach or back on a bench.

aye . Anything i do kills my back though :) even just benching .

My sister ordered that walking machine they have . I gotta try it out as i don't do cardio . The problem is our basement is 7 feet tall and i'm 6'4 without standing on the machine .... so its a problem haha

jvd said:
aye . Anything i do kills my back though :) even just benching .

My sister ordered that walking machine they have . I gotta try it out as i don't do cardio . The problem is our basement is 7 feet tall and i'm 6'4 without standing on the machine .... so its a problem haha

If you just want a cardiovascular workout then a treadmill or stationary cycling/ski machine is perfect. If you want to build muscle then weight lifting is your only choice. From what you're saying, it looks like you just need a cardiovascular and calorie burning workout.

Well i need to loose my gut . So i need cardio but as i explained my basment celling is to short. So i have to go running . I also want to build muscle . So its both

digitalwanderer said:
Also as the kids get a bit older and want to work out I think it will be gentler on 'em than free weights and won't stress their joints so much.

Unless you have actual joint problems I don't see why everyone is concerned about joint stress. Part of the reason many advoacte the use of free weights, is that they are the only way to reall build up the "stablizer muscles" that resistence machines avoid. A good strength woorkout should comprise compound movements and isolation movements. Compound movements work muscle groups together which the boyd needs practice at for strenghth. Isolation will then work on stressing the muscle fibres for larger fuller indvidiual muscles.

sytaylor is correct. Resistance based training is not the best, and the advantages to free weights far outweigh those of resistance.

digi, I would ask your doctor his thoughts on such machines or how he thinks it would be best to take care of your joint problem.

jvd, don't expect to gain much muscle and lose your gut while doing cardio and weight lifting. You need the proper nutrition to do something like that and for a person of your build quality it is going to need to be very balanced. You will have to watch what you eat and stick to a pretty strict schedule. I would recommend doing some cardio at first to get your stomach and the rest of your fat content down to a desirable level. After that you can decide to add muscle, but it will still be a precious balancing act for you.

It isn't as obvious, but it's still resistance based rather than lifting a weight which could collapse to the right/left and make a huge hole in the floor. Theres also something wholesome feeling about moving a weight you once couldn't :)

This whole issue of free weights vs. the bowflex is really moot for me. Yes the feel is different but I don't think that you could categorically say that one is better than the other. There is a resistance curve on the bowflex but in my (albeit limited) experience, it seemed like it really effected only the first and last 10 percent of the curve. I actually liked that about the machine. Do body builders use free weights. Yes. But they also spend 2 or more hours per day in the gym. I want to get in better shape not adopt a new lifestyle.

Russ or Digi, how about doing a little experiment. Over the course of a week or two exercise one arm with the bowlfex and the other with a dumbbell. Report back to us which worked better. ;)

nelg said:
Russ or Digi, how about doing a little experiment. Over the course of a week or two exercise one arm with the bowlfex and the other with a dumbbell. Report back to us which worked better. ;)
I can unequivocably say: 12oz curls are best done with neither.

I don't have free weights of any type anymore, lost 'em when I lost everything about a year before I met me wife.

Best I can do is keep up with the flexing thing, it's making me feel healthier. (I know that sounds weird/ghey, but it's true)

I've never used a Bowflex, but I do use a mix of free weights and machines at the gym.

Freeweights are better if you can use them. Like others said here, they work out secondary muscles and it does make a difference. However, if you are using very heavy free weights and don't have a spotter, then I would reccommend using machines. When I do my bench presses I use the machine (unless I have a spotter) just so I can go that extra rep. When you work out, you should work out to complete muscle failure... until you can't possibly do one more rep. I can't do this when I don't have a spotter and I'm using heavy free weights. There is a good chance that I mgiht not be able to finish the last rep and then kill myself.

Other good things that I reccommend:

You should set goals before going to the gym or working out. This will save time and give yourself a better workout. Some days you might not be able to lift as much because you are tired or whatever, but you should make an effort to go up a little each week. Even 1 more rep is an improvement from the week before, but I wouldn't go out of your rep range. Depending on your goals, you will want to have different rep ranges. For pure strength training, 1-3 reps per set is best. For body building, 8-12 is best. Anything more than that is strictly endurance training for the muscles. 3 or 4 sets is a good place to be for each exercise. Start with complex lifts (that work amny muscles) and finish your workout with single muscles workouts (so if you're doing back, bis, and lats in 1 day, start with lat pull downs and finish with bicep curls (use free weights for this, don't cheat, and don't use the preacher bench because you don't get a full range of motion with it)). If you can set your goals so that you're lifting enough weight so that you reach failure after 8-12 reps, then you're ina good spot. When you can do more than 12 reps, increase the weight.

If you are doing cardio, do it post workout, after a shake. Don't do it preworkout.

Studies have shown that muscles take 5-10 days to fully recover after working them out to exaustion. You're muscles aren't building during your workouts, they're building during rest periods. Too many people over work their muscles and wonder why they don't get results. Rest is very important and it's hard to do because a lot of complex lifts work many muscles, so you have to set your schedule up so that you get enough rest. I reccommend doing a muscle just once a week so you have 6 or 7 days rest.

In addition to those goals, decide whether you want to bulk or cut. When first starting out it will be easy to do both, but after a month or two you will have to pick one and then alternate. A few months of cutting and a few months of bulking. The reasons for this is the diets for each are very different. It is very hard to bulk while cutting fat and it's very hard to cut fat while trying to bulk. There is a middle ground, but the results will come very slow. After 6 months you will have much better results if you alternate between bulking and cutting than if you just kept a middle ground (maintenance). The main difference are the diets. Pretty much everything should be the same, but when bulking you should eat much more carbs (try to keep it under 1g per lb a day when cutting). Add more carbs for more calories when bulking and you'll see results (obviously, you'll need to burn mroe calories than you take in to cut, and you'll want to take in more calories than you burn to bulk. This can gain a little excess fat, but that's what the cutting periods are for).

While cutting, be sure to do refeeds every 4 or 5 days. Consider this a cheat day where you eat so many carbs that you can't burn them all. This is very important while cutting because it will raise leptin (and refill muscle glycogen) and prevent ketosis (starvation mode). When your body isn't getting enough calories and carbs while cutting, it will think it's starving. When leptin levels are low, ketosis will set in and this will actually burn muscle in addition to fat. Needless to say, your metabolism will be shot during this period. Refeeding every 4-5 days will prevent this and keep your metabolism and leptin levels at good amounts. This is the reason why people notice that they actually lost weight a day or two after they cheated on a diet. The atkins diet is pretty dangerous and I don't reccommend it.

More important than the actual working out is the diet. If you are lifting, be sure to get at least 1 gram of protein for every pound in your body (the more the better). This should be spread throughout the day, but this protein is especially important pre and post workout. Pre workout meals should consist of slow buring proteins if you are eating an hour to 30 mins before working out. No carbs pre-workout. Fast burining protein (like shakes) should be used if you're having your preworkout meal right before lifting. Your post wokrout meal should be done as soon as possible once you finish working out, and should include fast burning proteins (shakes) and carbs (try not to have sucrose). Muscle building starts immediately after you finish lifting, so get those proteins and carbs in your body as soon as possible.

Be sure to space out your meals. 3 meals a day is not good for anything. There is too much time inbetween meals and it causes your metabolism to drop. Have 5 or 6 smaller meals throughout the day and it will keep your metabolism high. You will burn more fat this way and there are constant nutrients going into your body insteady of bursts of it. This is a very tough system to get used to. Be sure to have slow buring protein before bed. Try not to have too many carbs at this time. This will keep your metabolism up while you sleep.

Alcohol is the worst thing. It's the only calorie that your body can't use, and it actally hurts the muscle growth process. That's not to say to stop drinking occasionally, but alcohol is not good for you.

Be sure to take a multivitamin and have enough vegetables in your diet. Try to drink a gallon of water a day. Don't eat candy or useless stuff like that. It's tough at first but after a while you feel so good eating "good food" that even thinking of eating candy will make you sick.

Rashly,

Thanks for all the great information. I never knew about refeeding before and will certainly give it a go.
If you can set your goals so that you're lifting enough weight so that you reach failure after 8-12 reps, then you're in a good spot. When you can do more than 12 reps, increase the weight.
This is always where I have difficulty. If I select a weight where I reach failure at ~10 reps on the first set by the second set I can only do 8. By the third set six and so on. Should the amount of weight I use be what I can do for all sets? How much rest should I get between set?

There are varying studies about how much time to wait inbetween sets. Most people do about 30 seconds, but I read a study that said that 30 seconds was too short because there is still too much lactic buildup in the muscle and that will be preventing you from working out 100% (as opposed to the muscle itself preventing you). That was only one study though, and I don't know the credibility of it.

Regardless of that, I usually take about 35-40 seconds between sets.

I change the amount of weight that I do for each set. So for my first set I will do 10 reps of 30lbs curls, failing at about 10. My next I will be struggling to get 8 reps in. For my 3rd, I will go to a 25lb weight and see how many I can do. If I am able to get 10 easily, then I will keep 25lbs for my 4th set. If I can barely get 8, then I will drop to 20lbs for my 4th set. A lot of that depends on your energy level for that particular day. Just be sure that you try and go up a little with weight/reps every week and you will see improvement.

Also, be sure to use good form. Good form with low weights is better than crappy form with heavy weights. Be sure to really pump and flex the muscle at the peak of your lifts; it really helps. Be sure to come down slow from the peak of the lifts. This will work the muscle on the way up and the way down. This can be tough because of one's ego at the gym, but it will save on injuries and it will help develop the muscles much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually take a break for however long it takes to change a load of laundry/wash some dishes/clean the floor or something, then I do another set.

It also depends on the muscle group you're working. If I'm doing presses then I will wait a good 90 - 120 seconds before I have another go at it. The same goes for squats and deadlifts.

I dunno monday , wensday , friday I do arms and chest . tuesday , thursday , saturday i do cardio .

Been loosing like 2 pounds a week and my arms are getting bigger so that is making me happy

What is your routine jvd. If it is something like HST then it might be working all right for you. However, if you are blasting your arms and chest each of those days and not getting the proper nutrition then you will not be seeing the gains you should. Also, you may be overtraining.

Back