Bowflex

nelg

Veteran
Does anyone have any experience using a bowflex machine? I have been working out with free weights at home for 10 months. Besides getting boring, since upping my dumbbells to 40 pounds my elbows and shoulders are getting sharp pains at the beginning of certain movements. I briefly tried a bolwflex machine at a local store. It seemed very comfortable. The pros that I can see of this machine is you can do lots of different exercises, it has a small footprint and it seems relatively safe. On the downside it is a little expensive. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Buy one used. You'll always find these things for sale in the local greensheet/craigslist/etc.

Or, if you must buy one new, get it from Costco, where it is a whole lot cheaper.

We own one and don't use it much. (I spend most of my exercise time doing cario).

I have not had much luck in finding a used one here in Toronto. My seven and four year olds give me all the cardio I can handle :). As far as Costco, no luck here but they usally have a model based on the sport. I was looking at the xtreme.

It looks like a machine that would actually work (uses resistence to build muscle). I've been looking at it...but my apartement is way to small to be using it ~_~,

But yeah...If I where to find a used one at a good price...I would pick that thing up quickly..even if I would feel cramped using it at my place.

the concept behind them is very good, I myself have been interested in getting one (used to be a gym instructor, uni turned me into a fat slob and am only now getting into shape again)

if you can find one second hand all the better, but yeah i'd say go for it.

I like mine. It has a gentler feel than free weights as the resistance is sort of a slower build up than that initial yank you gotta give with dumbells.

Works great as a kids jungle gym/playcenter too. My kids like me to balance their weight against the tricep bar so they can bounce up & down holding it "virtually" weightless. :LOL:

Now that I got my living room cleaned/re-floored I've actually been using it and liking it. I don't use the leg attachment as it's just too much of a hassle to set up for me, but I do love the tricep bar and using the bottom pulleys for bench pressingish and curls and such.

The biggest problem I see is that it's max weight is like 220, but if that gets to be too light for me to press than I'll consider the Bowflex worth it. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
The biggest problem I see is that it's max weight is like 220, but if that gets to be too light for me to press than I'll consider the Bowflex worth it. ;)

aw crap really? i hadn't seen that.... bummer

i suppose i could just get one for general fitness still and when i need to hit the heavy stuff just use traditional weights.

how much are they new nowadays?

just checked and it depends which one you get... for example if you get the bowflex ultimate it's got 310lbs

but they are all upgradeable, to 400 something lbs

they sure are pricey though eh? defo second hand for me once i get some cash

The only thing about the BowFlex...is that I have this weird fear of something snapping..and like snapping back..almost like when someone is about to pop a balloon. That anticipation builds up...and it freaks me out. Pulling on the contraption makes me feel like if I go to far the thing is going to snap back and whip me...lol...omg

:LOL:

I know what you mean with the snap-back feel, but it never does really snap back and lets face it weights kind of got their own version of that...but it's called "buckling". :?

digitalwanderer said:
:LOL:

I know what you mean with the snap-back feel, but it never does really snap back and lets face it weights kind of got their own version of that...but it's called "buckling". :?

i believe it's called

"HELP..."

rusty said:
i believe it's called

"HELP..."
I never press without a spotter after a near incident, and I don't got a spotter.

The bowflex is nice because if I buckle doing a press the bar will come down on me, but just the basically the weight of the bar. (10-20lbs most) It won't strangle me.

yeah i only lift heavy things with a spotter too - doing anythign different would not be wise.

the only way around it is using a bar with no weight locks - that way when you buckle you can lean the bar and the weights fall off. still have plenty of potential to hurt yourself though

I ordered it.
xtremextlu_lv.jpg

$1499 Can with the iTrainer software and Dr. Darden's book.

Looks like a solid device. Whats the correct verb to use by the way? "I'm bowflexing now honey, leave me alone."?

I've been thinking about getting me an exercise bike to use during the cold Swedish indoor season, (like 9 months/year). but this thing actually looks like a better investment. :)

nelg said:
Does anyone have any experience using a bowflex machine? I have been working out with free weights at home for 10 months. Besides getting boring, since upping my dumbbells to 40 pounds my elbows and shoulders are getting sharp pains at the beginning of certain movements. I briefly tried a bolwflex machine at a local store. It seemed very comfortable. The pros that I can see of this machine is you can do lots of different exercises, it has a small footprint and it seems relatively safe. On the downside it is a little expensive. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i've had one for a couple years. it WORKS as advertised. i still do a little free weights mixed in (dumbell bicep/tricep curls)

but it's worth the money ($1100? roughly) i got leg attachment and lat tower.

no spotters! better integration of workout possible too (less fiddling around with weights)

digitalwanderer said:
Works great as a kids jungle gym/playcenter too. My kids like me to balance their weight against the tricep bar so they can bounce up & down holding it "virtually" weightless. :LOL:
Truth be told, that is what cinched it for me. :LOL:

It's an all right machine that is good if you're not too into the freeweihts or don't have the room for a decent home gym. Also good for when you don't have time to go to the gym. While the workout itself might not be as good as free weights it shouldn't really matter unless you're doing serious bodybuilding. You should be able to add a good 20 lbs. of muscle in a short time if you are really into it. Even adding 5 lbs. of muscle to your whole body will make you look a whole lot better. Remember to eat right! Protein is just as important as carbs, fat is less so, but fish oil is good and so is flaxseed.

Do the bows in the Bowflex offer progressive resistance? Or is the resistance constant? If it's the former then it's not comparable to free weights.

I'm not sure of the answer to that one, but I do know that I've been getting a whole lot more toned and a whole lot more energy by just putting in about 20 minutes 3 days a week using the thing.

Really, just that little bit has made a noticeable difference in me to me....it does what it is supposed to do.

Also as the kids get a bit older and want to work out I think it will be gentler on 'em than free weights and won't stress their joints so much.

Reactions: jvd
Back