Blazing Fast NVMEs and Direct Storage API for PCs *spawn*

This is a good thing actually, its kinda way of forced to upgrade to meet the new IO standards. Guess RTX IO (14gb/s and up) will have the same OS/further hw requirements.

This is a good thing actually, its kinda way of forced to upgrade to meet the new IO standards. Guess RTX IO (14gb/s and up) will have the same OS/further hw requirements.

This is again a chicken-and-egg problem. It'll probably be years before PC games be able to utilize this similar to something like Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart.
I might be a bit pessimistic of course. One possible application for DirectStorage is for streaming higher resolution textures (it may need PCIe4.0 to be actually useful). This way, games can support both legacy system and DirectStorage, with the difference being the resolution of textures.

Maybe they will automatically re-partition the disk to include a separate gaming-only partition, as we discussed earlier? I still think that would be too much hassle for most users...

FWIW, I ran a search for DirectStorage through the leaked beta's registry and found a few keys with VMDirectStorage in their names. Those keys don't exist on my Win10 system and searching for the module in the new Powershell gives the following output:
CommandType Name Version Source
----------- ---- ------- ------
Function Add-VMDirectVirtualDisk 1.0.0.0 VMDirectStorage
Function Get-VMDirectVirtualDisk 1.0.0.0 VMDirectStorage
Function Remove-VMDirectVirtualDisk 1.0.0.0 VMDirectStorage

This could well be something else entirely but I found it interesting.

Looks like the requirements page has been reorganized to remove '1 TB' and change 'DirectX12 Ultimate' to DirectX12 with SM 6.0:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...11-requirements#feature-specific-requirements

DirectStorage: requires an NVMe SSD to store and run games that use the Standard NVM Express Controller driver and a DirectX12 GPU with Shader Model 6.0 support.​

DirectStorage requires 1 TB or greater NVMe SSD to store and run games that uses the "Standard NVM Express Controller" driver and a DirectX 12 Ultimate GPU.​

Looks like the requirements page has been reorganized to remove '1 TB' and change 'DirectX12 Ultimate' to DirectX12 with SM 6.0:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...11-requirements#feature-specific-requirements

DirectStorage: requires an NVMe SSD to store and run games that use the Standard NVM Express Controller driver and a DirectX12 GPU with Shader Model 6.0 support.​

Thats much more sensible. And supported on Kepler/GCN1.0 upwards seemingly too.

So the highest cost of entry seems to be the NVMe requirement.

I'd say right now no, but microsoft could make it happen especially if intel's additions to linux are in the spirit of the linux license

It looks like the requirements are more reasonable than recent announcements implied.

http://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-developer-preview-now-available

This means that any game built on DirectStorage will benefit from the new programming model and GPU decompression technology on Windows 10, version 1909 and up.
Storage stack optimizations: On Windows 11, this consists of an upgraded OS storage stack that unlocks the full potential of DirectStorage, and on Windows 10, games will still benefit from the more efficient use of the legacy OS storage stack.
DirectStorage enabled games will still run as well as they always have even on PCs that have older storage hardware (e.g. HDDs).

Benchmarks would be interesting, manual loading + GPU decompression vs DirectStorage on Windows 10 & 11...

Microsoft DirectStorage is also coming to Windows 10 and will not be a Windows 11 exclusive (guru3d.com)
Microsoft made a 180-degree turn, they wanted to make DirectStorage a Windows 11 exclusive, but that no longer is the case. At the end of April, we talked about Xbox's Microsoft DirectStorage API, which leverages quicker NVME SSDs to decrease loading times. Video cards may access data straight from the CPU on this disk. That makes performance considerably higher.

In reality, in the Xbox Wire post of Microsoft's Sara Bond gaming division, Microsoft talked exclusively about support for Windows 11 and claimed DirectStorage is only available for Windows 11, too. However, the firm located in Redmond revealed this weekend that the technology will also be brought to Windows 10. Hassan Uraizee, Microsoft Program Manager, announced in a blog post that version 1909 and above is DirectStorage sdk compliant. Uraizee didn't tell when the technology for Windows 10 will be released.

Back