Blazing Fast NVMEs and Direct Storage API for PCs *spawn*

I dunno
https://www.crucial.com/articles/about-ssd/what-is-trim
"Trim also affects the longevity of the solid state drive. If data is written and erased from the same NAND cells all the time, those cells will lose integrity. For optimum life, each cell should be utilized at roughly the same rate as other cells. This is called wear leveling. The Trim command tells the SSD which cells can be erased during idle time, which also allows the drive to organize the remaining data-filled cells and the empty cells to write to to avoid unnecessary erasing and rewriting. "

So looks like trim in conjunction with garbage collection and then the drives own software ?

Basically TRIM is just a way for the OS to tell the SSD which cell can be safely reclaimed. It's mostly used when files are deleted, as there's no way for the SSD controller to know which sectors are occupied by these deleted files.

my primary drive is still an OCZ Vertex4 I got in 2012. It's not terribly great now but it's still 10+ times faster than a traditional.

the drive is physically damaged, a dodgy SATA cable ripped the plastic guard off the pins. there's currently a shim of card stock holding the pins in place in a SATA connector that is thoroughly taped into place.

it's about time I replaced it so I'll get to experience an M.2 for myself rather soon.

I dunno if this adds anything to the discussion, other than mentioning that my 240GB SSD from 2012 that is physically damaged is still soldiering on, and HWinfo claims it still has 75% of its life left.

I will only stop using SSDs for storage if it either doesn't make sense financially anymore for mass storage (e.g. traditional spinners plummet in price) or something vastly better takes their place

Just an update. 1 month ago I disabled my virtual memory (have 32gb) so far I have had zero problems

pps: cant wait until these become affordable

Last edited:
Just an update. 1 month ago I disabled my virtual memory (have 32gb) so far I have had zero problems

pps: cant wait until these become affordable
Why disable it?
I have 64 GB physical memory, 1 GB virtual on my NVMe and 32 GB on each of my 3 HDD, total at 161 GB.
Zero problems for me too.

The amount of possible writes on the ssd
ps: why do you need so much?
pps: 1gb swap file, how big is your nvme?

SSD prices are dropping insanely fast. I bought my first 64 gig ssd back in 2009 for $300 I believe. I bought a 1TB nvme for $150 two years ago. I'm hoping to get a 1TB for under $100 sata to replace my two old 256 gig drives.

So even if a swap file reduces the life of your ssd does it really matter ? By the time it dies which will be years you will most likely want a new one anyway. I think I posted the amount of drives I have but well I have a 250 gig ssd that has my os on it. I have a 700 gig that is storage and swap. A TGB m.2 sata for games , a 1TB nvme wd black for games and then a 500 gig that has older steam games on them.

My plan is to dump the 250gig for a 1TB and use that for games and use the 500 gig as the new os drive. The 250 gig is my oldest drive. If I can get a 2TB for $150 or so I might do that instead. At that point i could actually ditch the 250 and 500. Maybe maybe take the 500 gig and make it a game / storage drive for my surface. Right now i have an old 128gig vertex 2 for the surface.

We will see what the holiday sales bring lol

32 GB would have been enough to be honest, but memory is rather cheap this days, so i went for 64 GB.
Size of my nvme is 500GB, i gave windows 1GB, since MS recommends some swap area at C.
HDD storage is cheap i gave them 32 GB swap each, don't really need it, but it's just 1% of the storage area.

https://www.techradar.com/news/this...liver-a-massive-boost-to-your-ssd-performance

Storage Processor
The concept of Pliops’ Storage Processor (PSP) relies on software and hardware. The software layer consists of an NVMe driver as well as a Pliops Kernel Module that replace traditional storage engines thus removing ‘layers of the database, file, block, and storage management accumulated over decades by legacy architectures’ and eliminating bottlenecks.

The Pliops Storage Processor (PSP) is a hardware-enabled key-value engine in a PCIe add-in card form factor that optimizes a broad range of workloads. We deliver a highly optimized, reliable, scalable storage system that can provide 10X faster performance and 100x improved response time with less than half the storage.

By accelerating compute-intensive functions and eliminating bottlenecks, PSP holds the key to unlocking the value of increasingly denser, faster SSDs. Enabling more efficient processing puts an end to wasted storage – and allows you to take full advantage of your flash storage investments.

UqRUzdgctUmmVkGyLwJNS7-650-80.jpg.webp

I wonder if something like this could be released except for the PC gaming space?

These types of systems have been around in one form or another for a while now (years if not a decade) from various vendors.
The ones I have seen are designed to accelerate specific applications and not general IO.
I could be wrong as I have never gotten to work with any, but that has been consistent in the literature I have seen on these products.

Not that it couldn't be done, I just haven't seen a generic solution that provides the benefits described.

If you are not having issue, does that mean that 32 GBs is enough. Enough that the data in RAM doesn't need to be evicted to a page file and so even if you had a page file no data would be written to it? If no page file, then you don't have a swap file and no file for a crash dump.

If you are not having issue, does that mean that 32 GBs is enough. Enough that the data in RAM doesn't need to be evicted to a page file and so even if you had a page file no data would be written to it? If no page file, then you don't have a swap file and no file for a crash dump.
I guess so, but the real worry was not about having enough ram. I know in the past that some programs would insist on writing to the swap file despite free ram being available and would freak out if they couldnt find one.
As for crash dumps there is a good chance I have my p.c setup not to save them as they are useless to me.

Probably not what your referencing (black angus) but amd sell a graphics card with 16gb of hbm2 and 2tb of soild state memory
https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-ssg

Yeah not what I am referencing.
I never bothered to look at that as I have no real reasons to get one. Does that provide a general purpose filesystem accessible to windows or is that SSD an extension of the cards capacity? (So closed and not general purpose?)

I guess so, but the real worry was not about having enough ram. I know in the past that some programs would insist on writing to the swap file despite free ram being available and would freak out if they couldnt find one.
As for crash dumps there is a good chance I have my p.c setup not to save them as they are useless to me.

Not in the past. Both my friend and I have a couple of games that crash randomly if no swap is enabled. Enable swap and good to good.
In those cases we were not out of available ram.

Last edited:
OK had to go read about it.
They have an api that does all the writing to the SSD, this looks like it allows the SSD to access the drive directy. The drive does appear to windows as a standard drive, but only after the Radeon drivers are installed. (I skimmed and didnt really read all the details if there were specific architectural details)
FusionIO was one of the companies I was thinking about, but there is another more recent one as well whose name escapes me atm.

Snippets:

Taking about the design, Samsung's 980 PRO SSDs will feature a Nickel coated thermal heatsink over the SSD controller while making use of a thin copper film on the back and front of the PCB. Samsung will also utilize its Dynamic Thermal Guard technology to maintain optimal thermal level on its 980 PRO SSDs. The drives make use of the next-gen, custom-designed Elpis Controller and 3-bit MLC.

There's no word on pricing and availability yet but we can expect the prices to be close to what the PCIe Gen 3 based Samsung 970 PRO SSDs currently cost.

Back