Blackberry Playbook

This seems like a really good pad , i just think that 7 inches is a bit to small imo . I've been playing on a rooted nook color alot and i could def do with a bigger size

This seems like a really good pad , i just think that 7 inches is a bit to small imo . I've been playing on a rooted nook color alot and i could def do with a bigger size

Yeah. I hope they come out with a larger one, but I'm personally interested in the smaller size. It should be good enough for easy reading of web pages, and very light, which is what I want. If I was going to watch a lot of movies on it, then a larger screen would be better. But it has HDMI out, so it it's still useful to hook up to a tv.

What was the intention of Dalvik? Did they expect it to go cross platform?
i "think" the main reason for Dalvik was to have aps run a Managed environment to make the platform more secure
and if they gained cross platform support that just a plus for them
the problem was Dalvik performances was nowhere near asepelo
that was one of the main reasons Google added
native interface
well it not impossible for Rim for to add support for aps that use the native interface
as they both run on arm linux and QNX but i am not sure on the low level differences between linux and QNX on what rim would need to emulate

i "think" the main reason for Dalvik was to have aps run a Managed environment to make the platform more secure
and if they gained cross platform support that just a plus for them
the problem was Dalvik performances was nowhere near asepelo
that was one of the main reasons Google added
native interface
well it not impossible for Rim for to add support for aps that use the native interface
as they both run on arm linux and QNX but i am not sure on the low level differences between linux and QNX on what rim would need to emulate

QNX is quite a bit different than Linux, from what I remember of school.

QNX is quite a bit different than Linux, from what I remember of school.

Uh...quite. QNX was designed from the ground up to be a realtime OS, no? Linux (un*x) is not.

Tempted to preorder but still think it's too small...

Is there an Apps list for the playbook?
I fear it will be yet another "no standalone IMAP client" device...

No published apps list.

However, they have had developers working on apps for 6 months with teh incentive of a free Playbook. In addition, QNX is POSIX compliant and there is rumours that Android apps may run under QNX.

We will know when its released.

Indeed, Blackberry Playbook email client piggybacks on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server as far as I am aware.

Ugh.

I'm a stickler for standalone IMAP clients. I use ProfiMail on Symbian right now and it's excellent. How anyone can do without real IMAP is beyond me. That and the storing and relaying of email by your phone company...Palm bought Chattermail way back when which was an excellent PalmOS IMAP client. I can only hope Webmail used the base code and has a similarly good IMAP client. AFAIK, K9 is still the best for Android and it leaves much to be desired.

I'm sure someone will make an IMAP client for playbook, but there isn't one included with the device.

Yeah, QNX is a true real-time OS with a microkernel architecture, but I can't really remember how it all fit together. I know there were some differences in the way threads/multiprocessing worked.

I'm sure someone will make an IMAP client for playbook, but there isn't one included with the device.

Yeah, QNX is a true real-time OS with a microkernel architecture, but I can't really remember how it all fit together. I know there were some differences in the way threads/multiprocessing worked.

One can hope, but, AFAIK, nobody ever created one for Blackberries. QNX makes it more likely.

Ugh.

I'm a stickler for standalone IMAP clients. I use ProfiMail on Symbian right now and it's excellent. How anyone can do without real IMAP is beyond me. That and the storing and relaying of email by your phone company...Palm bought Chattermail way back when which was an excellent PalmOS IMAP client. I can only hope Webmail used the base code and has a similarly good IMAP client. AFAIK, K9 is still the best for Android and it leaves much to be desired.

Have you ever used a Blackberry with BES? Push is instant and it just works really well. Plus it syncs pretty much everything Exchange does, not just mail folders and a calendar.

I switched jobs and now use an iPhone with IMAP and seriously it is in no way superior to Blackberry.

Back