Blackberry Playbook

Yeah I get the sports analogy, although I don't think that really screams professional either... but what first comes to my mind when "PlayBook" is mentioned in the context of an electronic device is something you play with.

Apple has overcome sounding like a feminine product, I'm sure Blackberry can overcome sounding less professional.

You forgot ST and Samsung SoC all of which are said to reach mass production 1H'10.

STMicro's Cortex-A9 is only 600MHz. Samsung's Orion seems way too new - compare with the amount of time it took even Samsung to use S5PC110 after they announced it.

If we're going to list all of them there's also NEC's and Nufront's, probably others.. but I don't know if they'd be very suitable for this market either. Tegra seems most obvious to me, by far.

I always find the previous BlackPad moniker funny, because its also the name of a PCB defect. There is no way RIM would have called this thing BlackPad.

Oh, and I keep getting more and more interested in this thing, because I was such a huge fan of QNX when I was using it in school. It's a hard real-time OS with great stability and performance.

Oh, and I keep getting more and more interested in this thing, because I was such a huge fan of QNX when I was using it in school. It's a hard real-time OS with great stability and performance.

I have a soft spot for QNX as well since times long gone. Wouldn't say that it has all that much relevance in the overall scheme of things, but at least you know that the guys involved with the base OS has thought long, hard and well on the issues aroung multiprocessing and responsiveness, which is reassuring. Of course, once you build a commercial platform on top of it, who knows how it will go. Flash, anyone? ;)

Of course other issues will decide how well it does in the market place. I kinda like WebOS and its base functionality as well, but there has to be compelling devices and good apps, and at this point in time iOS and Android has significant leads in OS stability/app support and device/carrier options respectively, and I can't see that Blackberry brings anything compelling to the table other than their brand name to the IT departments who are comfortable with it.

"Comparable" battery life. And they're still working to optimize.

If it was half of what the Galaxy was getting, they'd delay the release until it was in the same range. They'll be pressed at CES to firm up a release date.

We'll see.

There was a story about how Apple is locking up supplies of 9.7 inch screens for the next year or two.

So most competitors would have to play in the 7 or 5-inch tablet space.

Maybe expectations for battery life with smaller tablets are more modest (counterintuitive, because a bigger screen should consume more battery but of course, with a bigger footprint, you have the opportunity to pack more battery mass in as Apple has done with the iPad).

Remains to be seen how the market will trade size/weight with battery life.

There was a story about how Apple is locking up supplies of 9.7 inch screens for the next year or two.

So most competitors would have to play in the 7 or 5-inch tablet space.

Maybe expectations for battery life with smaller tablets are more modest (counterintuitive, because a bigger screen should consume more battery but of course, with a bigger footprint, you have the opportunity to pack more battery mass in as Apple has done with the iPad).

Remains to be seen how the market will trade size/weight with battery life.

Meh, I'll take widescreen 10" over weird-apple-proprietary-aspect-ratio 9.7" anytime.

I wouldn't really need much more than 6 hours of battery time for a tablet, anyway. Who does?

Meh, I'll take widescreen 10" over weird-apple-proprietary-aspect-ratio 9.7" anytime.

I wouldn't really need much more than 6 hours of battery time for a tablet, anyway. Who does?

1024x768 is a "weird-apple-proprietary-aspect-ratio" now? Enjoy your JooJoo.

1024x768 is a "weird-apple-proprietary-aspect-ratio" now? Enjoy your JooJoo.

I thought it was the same weird aspect ratio from the iphones and ipods.
Whatever, no one uses 1024*768 anymore.

JooJoo? You conveniently forgot all about Viewsonic G, Folio 100, Archos 101 and all the other 10" 16:9 tablets in the market?

Number one question of my mother when she asked about an iPad: "Do I have to recharge it every day?" Big relief when I told her once a week was sufficient for her kind of use. (She's allergic to any kind of cable.)

For many people, battery life is more than continuous use (exotic aspect ratio or not :p).

(Seriously: you prefer less pixels over more pixels? 1024x600 over 1024x768? That must be a first.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was the same weird aspect ratio from the iphones and ipods.
Whatever, no one uses 1024*768 anymore.

JooJoo? You conveniently forgot all about Viewsonic G, Folio 100, Archos 101 and all the other 10" 16:9 tablets in the market?
Talking about weird aspect ratios, the JooJoo is 16:9 while those other tablets are all ~17:10. ;)
(Ok, there's the Zenithink ePad, but ... let's just ignore it)

I prefer the iPad's 4:3, though.

iPad's 4:3 ratio...

We been run through the changes in screen sizes all ready in our monitors, finally replaced last of my monitors in my home systems to 16:9. I really would like to see standardized sizes for even the tablets.

I can see Apple announcing next year - Replace your iPad 1/2 with NEW 16:9 screen ratios... and people in droves doing it then.

I too have been contemplating doing some development work on the Playbook as I can see an application for my customers where security is important. It would never sell on the iPad and TAB otherwise.

Back