Blackberry 8830

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My wife picked on up tonight and I just got done with a brief techgasm over it, a very sweet little device!

Considering our old mobile was 10 years old or so the jump was sort of incredible, I'm still taking it all in. Got Eucrates RX installed, which is some freeware drug interaction/reference/thingy that my wife originally got the thing for; then I went a bit nuts. Encoded a bunch of crap to watch on it, (Family Guy seasons 4&5 so far along with some movies, Daily Shows, Kathy Griffin specials, etc), threw on Tom Petty's discography, tossed on a couple of games, and then just for giggles I found/set up an IRC proggy to my likings.

If it had a camera it'd be perfect, but I think no camera will be a deal breaker with my wife and we'll try a different model in a month. (They got a 30 day satisfaction guarantee thingy)

Anyone got one similar but with a camera?

I'm starting to think you're a drug lord, digi, what with all these fancy purchases lately...

pssst, got any?

hehe, I'm reminded of this:

"sonofabitch, took you this long to tell me? break it out man!"

My wife is pharmacist, she got it for work. :LOL:

Come to think of it, she does sell drugs for a living so you weren't that far off...it's just she does it legally. ;)

Heh, I carry a 8830 for work. Get a Curve if you want a similar device with a camera. I think the Curve feels less solid, but they seem to hold up just fine.

The 8830 actually has a really weak mini USB port, they like to snap right off if you knock them on the floor while charging.

And don't be afraid to try the half size Blackberries. When this one finally dies, I'll probably get one to replace it. The half QWERTY keyboard actually works really well, surprisingly enough.

Does the Curve have all the same features? I never did get what the difference was...

A blackberry is a blackberry as far as software features go. They only differ by the version of the OS they support.

Hardware wise, the 8830 is a bit bigger, has more fancy chrome plastic, and has both a CDMA and GSM radio. We're on Verizon where I work, so we can't access the GPS in the phone.

The Curve has a simpler keyboard, which is a plus and the camera. It's missing the "executive" trim and the GSM radio.

Which cell provider are you with?

Sprint, what is "CDMA" and "GSM"? :oops:

Here in the US we have two different over the air standards for cell phones. You only need to worry about it if you plan on travelling internationally, and can't live without your blackberry. The 8830 has the GSM radio that allows you to use it in Europe. If you get Sprint to unlock that feature of course, Verizon won't do it for us.

I run our Blackberry Enterprise server, so I'm full of Blackberry trivia. To me it sounds like the Curve would be perfect, just get a nice big MicroSD for pictures and music and you'll be set.

Got a little 4Gb in now and that seems to fit a lot, but an 8Gb will be a necessity.

Thanks for the info Maddman! So the Curve is basically the 8830 but without international capabilities and with a camers, it has GPS? (I'm in love with GPS)

Got a little 4Gb in now and that seems to fit a lot, but an 8Gb will be a necessity.

Thanks for the info Maddman! So the Curve is basically the 8830 but without international capabilities and with a camers, it has GPS? (I'm in love with GPS)

Yup, it has a GPS. And Sprint will let you access it from any software you like.

Back