Bill Gates to Step Down from his Day to Day role at Microsoft

SugarCoat

Veteran
In 2008

Microsoft announced Thursday that chairman and co-founder Bill Gates will transition out of a day-to-day role at the company, effective July 2008, to spend more time working on his charitable foundation.

Gates will then work part-time at Microsoft (up $0.19 to $22.07, Charts) as chairman and technical adviser and will work full time for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the organization he founded with his wife, which focuses on global health and education.

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates announcing Thursday that he is stepping down from his day-to-day role with the company by July 2008.

"I've decided that two years from today, I will reorganize my personal priorities," Gates said during a news conference, adding,"I have one of the best jobs in the world." ......

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/15/technology/microsoft_news/index.htm?cnn=yes

I don't know, I don't really trust Steve Ballmer to be left at the helm. There are various reasons why, but I'll just leave it as a overall hunch.

Diplo said:
That's right. He heads the 'Notepad' team.

:LOL: I thought his sole duty was to show up in "cool" leather jackets at the Xbox unveilling. :p

bill_gates_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances are he still may do things like product launches. I dont expect him to leave Microsoft completely but to stay on as an advisor. Keeps shareholders happy.

I read this in the paper today. Good for him. I like that fact that he's focusing primarily on his charities.

I like Bill Gates.

One thing I like about Bill is that he doesn't show off his money, wears simple cloths (infact too cheap at times)...doesn't let you believe that is the richest man on earth.

Anybody who puts $29B of their own money into education and health charities is okay with me. And, as importantly, spends the effort to put together a world-class team of thinkers about how to spend that money most effectively.

He's fair on his way to putting Andrew Carnegie in the shade as a philanthropist.

standing ovation said:
Trust me. Anyone who puts $29 billion into a "charitable" foundation is making an investment, not a donation. :mrgreen:

Give me a break, the guy is basically dedicating the reast of his life to help the world in a way that very few individuals are in the position to do. Show me another CEO who makes this sort of 'investment'

Anybody who puts $29B of their own money into education and health charities is okay with me. And, as importantly, spends the effort to put together a world-class team of thinkers about how to spend that money most effectively.

He's fair on his way to putting Andrew Carnegie in the shade as a philanthropist.

agreed

scooby_dooby said:
Give me a break, the guy is basically dedicating the reast of his life to help the world in a way that very few individuals are in the position to do. Show me another CEO who makes this sort of 'investment'.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. ;)

It just so happens that there's a rascal by the name of Paul Allen who established his "charitable" foundation some 20 years prior.

The Paul G. Allen Family Foundation

Back