Better, stronger, FASTER beer!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Fast Beer Tap Maker Markets Home Kits:

The company that sped up pulls of draft beer at sports stadiums around the country with its Turbo Tap nozzle is bringing the technology to rec rooms across America.

Laminar Technologies LLC has outfitted six sports arenas including U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago and some 30 Chicago bars, receiving fawning media coverage. Time magazine lists the gadget as one of the coolest inventions of 2005 in an issue that hits newsstands Monday.

While home users are not concerned with better sales, they are drawn by the same attributes that attracted businesses: pints poured in about two seconds _ what the company claims is up to four times faster than a normal tap _ and keg yield up to 30 percent better than regular.

Because the tap smooths the pouring process, there is a regulated amount of foam, a lot of which normally goes down the drain in the quest for the perfect head. Efficient pours can mean up to 20 more beers per keg even for people who have no experience pulling beer, the company says.

Tiny wings inside the tap keep the fluid moving in a steady "laminar flow" _ thus the company name _ which allows beer to move more quickly through fatter tubes without causing excessive foaming. The elongated, tapered tap fills cups from the bottom, preventing gravity from taking over and causing a foamy splash.
I can't believe it took someone this long to come up with a better tapper.

Surely, all that's needed is
images

Finally, after 10,000 bitter years of struggle for survival, we have come out victorious!

I guess we are done then?

"Cheers!"

OK, I'm not a beer expert, and I might have mixed up the different types here.
But isn't "draft beer" a kind that SHOULD foam a lot, and if it doesn't it won't taste as good.

Or is that "draught beer"?
Is that something else?

Basic said:
OK, I'm not a beer expert, and I might have mixed up the different types here.
But isn't "draft beer" a kind that SHOULD foam a lot, and if it doesn't it won't taste as good.

Or is that "draught beer"?
Is that something else?

draught beer = draft beer (that's how draught is pronounced) and this just means beer from a tap.

It should not foam too much unless you want it to. This should be controlled by the bartender with the tap and the tilt of the glass and not by foam spewing unwelcomed through the tap. One example where the foam is problematic is with Guiness. It can take quite a while to settle. You also see some pilsners foaming up quite badly, like soap. Anyways, you can always create the foam by forcing it to happen with angles and velocities. It's all very scientific...*burp*.... ;)

Thanks for the lesson.

It was Guinness and it's likes I was thinking of.

OK it shouldn't take 10 minutes to settle (which can happen with an inexperienced bartender). But if it's to quick, and certainly if somebody manage to pour it in 2 seconds without foam, then I know some people that would grumble about that it doesn't taste right.

(I'm not into Guinness, so I wouldn't know.)

There has to be enough foam, though. I hate seeing a beer without a nice little white hat, that looks like apple juice.

Beer + (enough, not too much)foam == happiness

Back