Behaviorist: Panting Noise Is Dog Laughter

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051212/ap_on_fe_st/dog_laughter_1

SPOKANE, Wash. - An animal behaviorist says she's figured out what dogs are doing when they make that excited panting noise while playing or anticipating a much desired walk. They're laughing.

Patricia Simonet, development and program coordinator for Spokane County Regional Animal Protection Service, also found that the sound of dog laughter comforts other dogs. When she played a recording of "play panting" through the speaker system at a shelter in Spokane Valley, all the barking dogs quieted within a minute.

Woof, woof, grrrrrr! :p

digitalwanderer said:
WHERE DO I GET AN MP3 OF THAT RECORDING??!?! :oops:

yes, seriously! If we could get a recording of "dog laughter" it would *really* help some people!

Deepak said:
So that 1 sec is just a teaser. :smile: Has anyone tried it on his/her dog?
Yeah, I've been playing with it and it gets their interest without driving them crazy...it actually got them to stop fighting and sit back and listen to it.

And these pups go NUTS if a dog barks on the TV or in a movie, I have some mp3s of dogs barking that I just do NOT play anymore since it makes 'em so frenzied. :???:

Cartoon Corpse said:
i suspect, she has no clue what 'figuring' something out means. perhaps she should figure this out first.

i suspect that the journalist has no clue what "figuring" something out means and misrepresented how she presented her theory :)

Cartoon Corpse said:
i suspect, she has no clue what 'figuring' something out means. perhaps she should figure this out first.
Ya.. she should leave figuring out to men.. cuz the wimminz have tiny brains111!!!!@@@

This is 'old news', I think. I certainly knew about the theory before hand.

Regardless, when me and the dogs play, I pant along with them.

That's so cute. :)

Last time I saw a dog making this noise and acting happy I actually laughed along with it. :)

Back