Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but maybe 8tflops with a new architecture of GPU (like maybe comparable to maybe 11 tflops of old Vega tech) would do it.
Next-gen consoles always had a new architecture to work with on top of the 8x raw power.
I don't know if ps5 will be 8Tf or not, by the way, I just want to point out that even if it is, Cerny is probably not entirely satisfied with it.

Next-gen consoles always had a new architecture to work with on top of the 8x raw power.
I don't know if ps5 will be 8Tf or not, by the way, I just want to point out that even if it is, Cerny is probably not entirely satisfied with it.

Well, their job is to make the most powerful console within size, wattage, and cost margins. But Cerny is not a mad scientist working alone in his laboratory. I mean... he probably isn't...

The first party studios, and third parties, must have a lot more weight to ask for memory amounts or performance targets, and they would have to prove that additional specs are visually noticeable enough to be worth raising the price point without losing market share. The rumors are, Cerny was going around studios to discuss what they need. If he brings back the most rational picture to sony, the best decision will be made. Precisely what they did with ps4, and what they didn't do with ps3.

He worked on the next Kojima game for years, maybe it will have an inspirational impact. PS5 will be a trillion neurons in a jar of goo, the controller an umbilical cord inserted in your ear. Or something.

Well, their job is to make the most powerful console within size, wattage, and cost margins. But Cerny is not a mad scientist working alone in his laboratory. I mean... he probably isn't...

The first party studios, and third parties, must have a lot more weight to ask for memory amounts or performance targets, and they would have to prove that additional specs are visually noticeable enough to be worth raising the price point without losing market share. The rumors are, Cerny was going around studios to discuss what they need. If he brings back the most rational picture to sony, the best decision will be made. Precisely what they did with ps4, and what they didn't do with ps3.

He worked on the next Kojima game for years, maybe it will have an inspirational impact. PS5 will be a trillion neurons in a jar of goo, the controller an umbilical cord inserted in your ear. Or something.
I don't disagree with any of that.

Let's hope those studios Cerny visited didn't hold back, 24 GB GDDR6, 12 TF + and not a single mention of eight teraflops. Do devs usually ask for the moon for console powers does anyone know?

No idea, but it has to be a balancing act (pun intended), I don't think devs want the small userbase caused by an overly expensive console. It's bad for business all over the map, for everybody.

Would they prefer a 24GB/8TF, or a 16GB/10TF, or a 12GB/12TF?

HDD plus SSD cache with a 300GB install size limit or a pure SSD with a 100GB limit?

Fancy architecture with much more power, or traditional and easy to port but less power?

Memory speed or memory amount?

More cpu or more gpu?

Gunmetal black console or gamecube purple?

Last edited:
No idea, but it has to be a balancing act (pun intended), I don't think devs want the small userbase caused by an overly expensive console. It's bad for business all over the map, for everybody.

Would they prefer a 24GB/8TF, or a 16GB/10TF, or a 12GB/12TF?

HDD plus SSD cache with a 300GB install size limit or a pure SSD with a 100GB limit?

Fancy architecture with much more power, or traditional and easy to port but less power?

Memory speed or memory amount?

More cpu or more gpu?

Gunmetal black console or gamecube purple?
Good point, I wonder how much loss Sony would willing to take on PS5 tho. They are in a much better position to do so than last gen but will they?

I doubt devs ask for specific tech specs. It shold more be a case of describing how they do things and how they'd like to do things, and what they find the greatest issues are, such as split pool RAM. The engineers would then come up with solutions that fit the devs requests alongside their business plan. It's a bit ludicrous to ask devs to design a console factoring in sales projections etc. That's not their job. And if they don't factor in the business of selling consoles, devs will surely just ask for the moon, because that's what they want to play with.

A crytek Dev had said on a GDC many years before the run-up for PS4 and XBONE that next gens absolutely needed about 8GB of mem. Much later, it's been reported that at one of Cerny's studio visits, a Gearbox dev said to Cerny that if PS4 launched with 4GB it was dead.
Also, Tim Sweeney from Epic kept saying UE4 was being designed for 2Tflop+ machines and that's when the engine really shines. I guess he really tried to convince Sony and MS to hit that target (as he did with 360's mem) and only they know how much the end result was thanks to his influence or regardless of that.
Those are the only specifics I remember.
For this next-gen, I don't remember any comments of that nature. They can be a good baseline for the kind of perf. we can expect.

No platform-wide choice would be made to please a specific studio; not even an engine developer. How stupid would it have been for Sony to bet the farm on CryEngine's interests considering that platform has struggled? And was responsible for all of one game (5/10) on PS4? The only studios SIE might listen to directly are their internals, and even then, no billion-dollar decisions are going to be made to make one or two games as the devs want them.

What you can be sure of is concerns about RAM would have been common when Cerny was interviewing lots of different devs. "What was wrong with PS3?" "Hard to code for. Split RAM. Not much RAM." Sony then went away and came up with a very balanced solution. 8 GBs doesn't exist because Crytek asked for it, but because more RAM was preferable if cost effective, and it turned out it was.

No dev is providing a shopping list for Sony to build their ideal console. Any who request a particular spec are probably humoured with a nod and then Sony gets back to asking the questions they're actually interested in.

Of course shifty. I just pointed out two instances devs manifested their wish lists to the public and they turned out right. that's all.

No dev is providing a shopping list for Sony to build their ideal console. Any who request a particular spec are probably humoured with a nod and then Sony gets back to asking the questions they're actually interested in.

Company Management: What would you like at the company picnic?
Employees: Bratwurst! Ribs! Chicken! Pepsi! A live DJ!
Company Management: Hotdogs, kool-aid, and a radio it shall be!

I thought it was pretty famously the case that Epic convinced MS to increase the X360's memory to 512MB? Or is that just apocryphal? Or a dream? Or am I just a liar journalist?
It's a nice story to tell, but IIRC it's more the case that MS sent a survey around asking what devs would prioritize, and it came down to 512MB memory or larger edram space. Certainly that doesn't make it a lie - it's just that there were probably overwhelming factors involved (everyone else was making the same argument), not just one developer.

Last edited:
It was in the 360 uncloaked book, but it's a bit of a fantastical hyperbolic story that doesn't bring up the whole decision making process; it wasn't just Epic trying to make the case for more memory (and that's aside from other things that developers wanted such as a standardized HDD, HD-DVD etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back