Ball lightning...

Crisidelm

Newcomer
You know what a ball lightning is? Well, a friend of mine had one in her house earlier this week: as she was working at her PC, suddenly two of her dogs rushed under her table, so she turned around to see what was going on and there it was, a white-blueish ball (slightly flaming/flashing on the outside) 2 mt. away from her, hovering 20cm. above the floor, between a tennis ball and golf ball in size. Few seconds later it exploded, but without causing any harm to her or anything else.
Ain't life full of surprises?

digitalwanderer said:
I think I'd freak and probably end up having a heart attack if that happened. :?

But she's quite a strong (and smart) woman to say the least. In fact she told me that the first thing that crossed her mind was:"Now, where's the plug causing that?". After that she realized that actually in the middle of the room there is no plug or anything like that, and by the way there hadn't been any power shortcut.

Crisidelm said:
But she's quite a strong (and smart) woman to say the least. In fact she told me that the first thing that crossed her mind was:"Now, where's the plug causing that?". After that she realized that actually in the middle of the room there is no plug or anything like that, and by the way there hadn't been any power shortcut.

So, you are saying that a smart person would not try to pick the ball up and shoot some hoops with it?

Freaky stuff. Never having experienced it myself, I am not sure how I would react. I would probably faint after my brain had decided that I should try to communicating with it, hoping it came in peace...

Wonder what would happen if a person was to touch one of those things, or if that's even possible. Since they seem to be hovering, perhaps matter repels them like equal poles of two magnets...

I thought they were mainly static electricity. Real high voltage but super-low amperage stuff, it would be like a static shock from hell or a stungun.

People report being knocked around when they are struck by ball lightning. In the alps I met someone who claimed it actually knocked them out of their house about 10 meters or so.

Fred said:
People report being knocked around when they are struck by ball lightning. In the alps I met someone who claimed it actually knocked them out of their house about 10 meters or so.

Aha! So they don't come in peace :(

I remember, as a child, my grandmother telling me about her neighbor having had ball lightning roll into her house, making some rounds, and finally exploding in the fireplace. The house had a tea room with open terrace and I always assumed this is where it got in. If I recall correctly, this one was more like a soccer ball in size.

It's funny. I always found this story very exciting, but never really thought how I would react if I had one roll in my direction. I would probably spend the next few days doing laundry, if you catch my drift.

Back