Ati2 ?

Mummy

Regular
I was wondering about AMD acqusition of ATI, personally i think, like some ppl in other threads, that there is a big chance that AMDTI will face problems to remain competitive with nVidia in the long term because of resource allocation (will they need the whole ATI workforce? or will they cut lots of jobs ? which market will have the highest resource allocation priority ?) and the fact that AMD will mostly likely worry about AMD anyway, ie cpus and pc platform integration, while they might not care too much about the GPU market, not in the way ATI did, at least.

My question is, what do you think about the possibility of a big chunk of ex-ati staff leaving AMDTI for founding a new company, maybe not in the short term ?

Well one hypothesis if such would happen, would be Intel grabbing those ex-ati guys like some of the staff from 3DLabs.

Well, there hasn't been any evidence that anyone but marketing guys have jumped ship. Which makes sense, and in fact was somewhat predicted by AMD/ATI by pointing at where they expected cost savings.

It would be a bad sign if it happened. Probably even a leading indicator as obviously those guys have earlier visibility of internal priorities not just as management *says* they are, but as they actually impact day to day development. Hope we don't start seeing it.

AMD has always cared about gaming. It's what made them popular. So I don't think they're going to slow down ATI in any way to compete with NVIDIA.

AMD has always cared about gaming. It's what made them popular. So I don't think they're going to slow down ATI in any way to compete with NVIDIA.

What made them popular was the fact that they offered a much cheaper AND faster CPU then the competition. Prior to Athlon Intel was the only choice for gamers.

These guys will change their strategy any day if that's what the market asks for, so I'd call such claims rather pointless.

Back