Any tablets/handhelds with 50Hz HDMI out?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
I'm wanting a to play recorded video on a projector. Stupidly PAL cameras don't support 60Hz recording while the devices that output video are typically only outputting 60 Hz AFAICS. Certainly my ASUS TF101 outputs 60 Hz only. Anyone know of any mobile media players (handheld, tablet, gadget) with 50Hz support in its video out?

on something with ivy bridge couldn't you just go into intel's graphics control panel and adjust to Hz ? I know on amd tablets you can as my acer w500 and the msi wind 110w both allow you to through amd's control panel

Yeah, I was thinking there might be a dongle solution. I also have a Sony camera that plays 50 Hz video, and if I can find a way to get video onto it, that'll suit me fine.

why don't you just buy a used android phone ? You can get something like the htc evo for $50 to $100 usd now and it should allow you to output at any format

why don't you just buy a used android phone ? You can get something like the htc evo for $50 to $100 usd now and it should allow you to output at any format

"should"? Do you actually know that they can output in 50hz? My xperia s only seems to want to output 24p...

Happily, as long as I know it supports 50hz. My gut feeling is only 60 Hz is supported on phones and stuff, because video won't be regional specific, unlike audiovisual CE devices.

I'm wanting a to play recorded video on a projector. Stupidly PAL cameras don't support 60Hz recording while the devices that output video are typically only outputting 60 Hz AFAICS. Certainly my ASUS TF101 outputs 60 Hz only. Anyone know of any mobile media players (handheld, tablet, gadget) with 50Hz support in its video out?

And does your projector support 50Hz HDMI :oops:

I didn't know the stupid 50Hz/60Hz issues still existed. I have a crazy suggestion : convert your video to 25 fps progressive then speed it down to 24 fps and output at HDMI 24Hz. If 24Hz is an option at all.

If I shop for a projector one day, I guess I will look for one that has the media player integrated right into itself. Also with magical beaming of a display over ethernet - that includes wifi - but good luck with that. I predict that will be the next generation of stupid troubles :)

And does your projector support 50Hz HDMI :oops:
Yep.

I didn't know the stupid 50Hz/60Hz issues still existed. I have a crazy suggestion : convert your video to 25 fps progressive then speed it down to 24 fps and output at HDMI 24Hz. If 24Hz is an option at all.
Nah. It needs the fluidity of 50/60 fps.

The FPS issues are mindboggling. PAL camera has 50 and 25 fps, so can't capture 24 fps. Try making an indie movie using a Canon DSLR and a NEX - your NEX footage will run 1/24th slower. :rolleyes: And it's just a friggin' software setting. Same hardware. Are users really so dumb that they can't understand 60/50/30/25/24 fps options, even when the screen pops up an explanation of when you'd pick which (use this when filming in USA, Canada. Use this when filming in Europe, use this to film like the movies)?

I was thinking far smaller (and cheaper!) than a PC. ;)

there are ITX mobos with a dual core Celeron 1.1GHz, with Intel graphics, VGA + HDMI. Sandy Bridge rather than Ivy Bridge. But is cheap, CPU has a 17W TDP this would go in a case with a 60W PSU. I quickly looked around and there's this one http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00112349.html

I find this to be nifty, you'd use some bluetooth keyboard with trackpad or even just a mouse. So, you end up carrying a desktop PC, power brick and bluetooth keyb, not exactly what you're looking after but a hell of a lot cheaper than an "ultrabook".

(I'm now seeing Intel NUC is basically a higher end smaller version of this, but with less I/O. this mobo has crazy everything http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00140787.html )

Sony have updated their PlayMemories software to allow upload to camera. Frustratingly, it's only films shot in the camera! Argh! I'll try and find a hack to make other clips appear in PlayMemories. The camera is the ideal solution for portability.

Back