Animated desktop

The first link seems to only be static pre-rendered images. Looking at some of the samples they seem very difficult to be realtime generated anyway...

Guden Oden said:
The first link seems to only be static pre-rendered images. Looking at some of the samples they seem very difficult to be realtime generated anyway...

It was just some quick linking from google, but the second one has some animated stuff, right? I can't dl @work, so I couldn't check them out.

The videolan player can display video on the desktop (using hardware overlay) but it disappears if you minimize the player.

_xxx_ said:
but the second one has some animated stuff, right?
Yeah, but it isn't exactly fullscreen animation from the description on the page, it just seems to fake waves by rippling scanlines in the lower third of the screen...

I do remember some fullscreen space battles thing that rendered actual 3D graphics on the desktop background, but that was years ago and while it ran at minimum priority to not steal cycles from foreground stuff, it loaded the CPU to the max, so not good from a power/noise/environmental conservation standpoint (or various distributed computing tasks I might add). I don't remember the name of the thing, or if it's even being developed still.

*Edit:
Oh, and Winamp's AVS plugin can be configured to render to a background overlay too, but that one sucks CPU like a hog, and won't look very exciting in most cases unless winamp is actually playing some music. Also, due to being entirely software rendered, it can't be run at high rez without turning into an embarrassingly slow slideshow.

There was one program I came across once, it was a screensaver specifically that resembled flurry on the mac. It also had an option to render to desktop in the background in real time, but it was fairly slow. I forget the name now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guden Oden said:
I do remember some fullscreen space battles thing that rendered actual 3D graphics on the desktop background, but that was years ago

Yeah, that's the one I meant above but what was the name dammit? :???:

Back