American Idol 6

Reverend

Banned
What, the most popular show in America and still no thread about it here? :)

This must be the worst American Idol Last 9 group I've seen. If Lakisha, Melinda or Jordin don't win this, it shows the American public aren't picking an American Idol based on vocal prowess. Awarding a recording contract to any of the male winners must be a scary thought for Clive Davis now. Unlike seasons past, none of the remaining male contestants at this stage of the competition is being watched by any recording studios.

And if Haley eventually wins it, Playboy will continue to be frustrated until then.

Oh wait, there's also this boy-child called Sanjaya.... Americans, wake up!!!

Those three girls really are quite good... It would be absolutely ridiculous if one of them didn't win.

I like Melinda the most, I think. When she's not singing, she's so quiet and mouse-like that it's kinda cute.

Lakisha has done a few fantastic performances, but she seems a bit too classical to really thrive if she won. (although, I'd certainly not be disappointed, she's quite talented)

Jordin had a few average weeks early on, but a couple weeks back she had an outstanding performance (she sang that song about being all alone or some such -- can't remember fully).

I didn't see last weeks or this weeks -- I just have DVR recording and watch them when I have some extra time... if it wasn't for a DVR, I don't think I could stand American Idol... those 2 hour episodes can be watched in like 25 minutes (performances, part or all of them, and then Simon's response). I wish the show wasn't so full of fluff.

I was kind of saddened by Sundance, as he had one of my favorite auditions.

Those three girls really are quite good... It would be absolutely ridiculous if one of them didn't win.

I like Melinda the most, I think. When she's not singing, she's so quiet and mouse-like that it's kinda cute.

Lakisha has done a few fantastic performances, but she seems a bit too classical to really thrive if she won. (although, I'd certainly not be disappointed, she's quite talented)

Jordin had a few average weeks early on, but a couple weeks back she had an outstanding performance (she sang that song about being all alone or some such -- can't remember fully).

My thoughts exactly. Melinda is my favorite, she sings every song as if were her own.

Your opinion pretty much mirrors my own with regards to those 3 girls.

Jordin's performance of that sad song was really one of my favorites ever. It was an extremely sincere performance where the angst was palpable IMO.

I dont understand how anyone with a little self respect could watch something like this (I assume its more or less the same as those dutch idols shows). To begin with its all a fake. You can call, you can vote, the outcome will be the same. Eventually one of the ''stars'' will win, they will be used and abused for a year, turn out a pile of shitty music in that your and than be replaced with a fresh one. Where are the days people listend to quality performers like Queen and Pink floyd? people who know how to make music and give a show. Not a bunch of ''idols'' who need 10 people in the make-up crew and another 20 in the studios to fix their voice because they cant sing for real. Not to mention that if you went to a live show, not that I can understand why anybody would, you get a live show wich is about as live as a music video.

Thanks to Teh Intarweb I've been watching this show since last season and I think it's highly entertaining... but not in a good way. It's like watching a really, really crappy 1980s horror movie which is entertaining precisely because it's so bad.

Season 5 was bad, this season seems to be a total trainwreck and I'm loving every minute of it. Sanjaya's horrid perfomance of "You Really Got Me" and the crying girl... classic. Or how about that shitty Justin Timberlake impersonator with his nasal voice? And, of course, LaCliché's predictable and mindnumbingly boring diva stylings. Not to forget that effeminate human beatbox, the creepy-eyed vampire seaman, the fake rocker and the wannabe McPhee.

Melinda. I usually don't rip on the physical appearance of people but she creeps me out. Her huge head reminds me of some freaky cartoon character or some 1980s Japanse console RPG character. She appears to have no neck at all. Melinda must be the tallest midget in existence. Her song choices are boring me to death, she never does anything surprising.

The worst thing about her is all the fake humility, when she, a professional singer with her own voice coach and stylist, acts all surprised and "Who? Me?" when someone says something nice about her singing. Is anyone actually falling for the "demure background singer is coming out of her shell" shtick? She's a good singer and she knows it - but she's probably an even better actor.

1175810822_3302.gif

And the judges? Ahaha, that's the best part. That Randy dude is slightly retarded and his faux gangsta talk is funny. Paula Abdul is constantly wasted and Simon Cowell always says the same shit, which, by the way, isn't half as witty as he might think.

The whole "singing contest" is a sham. It's all about making good Reality TV not about giving talented people a shot at stardom. And the pimping of certain contestants is sickening. Not even to mention that most of the talented singers don't make it past the initial filter at the auditions. What's left is mainly backwash picked for their questionable entertainment value and the occasional truly talented singer.

That being said, LaCliché and Neckless Wonder are certainly good singers but is anyone actually interested in buying one of their CDs? Is there are market for music by fugly 1960s-Motown-Retro singers? Sometimes it seems that you can find one of these at every street corner in the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to Teh Intarweb I've been watching this show since last season and I think it's highly entertaining... but not in a good way. It's like watching a really, really crappy 1980s horror movie which is entertaining precisely because it's so bad.

Season 5 was bad, this season seems to be a total trainwreck and I'm loving every minute of it. Sanjaya's horrid perfomance of "You Really Got Me" and the crying girl... classic. Or how about that shitty Justin Timberlake impersenator with his nasal voice? And, of course, LaCliché's predictable and mindnumbingly boring diva stylings. Not to forget that effeminate human beatbox, the creepy-eyed vampire seaman, the fake rocker and the wannabe McPhee.

Melinda. I usually don't rip on the physical appearance of people but she creeps me out. Her huge head reminds me of some freaky cartoon character or some 1980s Japanse console RPG character. She appears to have no neck at all. Melinda must be the tallest midget in existence. Her song choices are boring me to death, she never does anything surprising.

The worst thing about her is all the fake humility, when she, a professional singer with her own voice coach and stylist, acts all surprised and "Who? Me?" when someone says something nice about her singing. Is anyone actually falling for the "demure background singer is coming out of her shell" shtick? She's a good singer and she knows it - but she's probably an even better actor.

1175810822_3302.gif

And the judges? Ahaha, that's the best part. That Randy dude is slightly retarded and his faux gansta talk is funny. Paula Abdul is constantly wasted and Simon Cowell always says the same shit, which, by the way, isn't half as witty as he might think.

The whole "competition" is a sham. It's all about making good Reality TV not about giving talented people a shot at stardom. And the pimping of certain contestants is sickening. Not even to mention that most of the talented singers don't make it past the initial filter at the auditions. What's left is mainly backwash picked for their questionable entertainment value and the occasional truly talented singer.

That being said, LaCliché and Melinda are certainly good singers but is anyone actually interested in buying one of their CDs? Is there are market for music by fugly 1960s-Motown-Retro singers? Sometimes it seems that you can find one of these at every street corner in the USA.

Oh man! :LOL: I haven't visited the general discusion forum in quite some time but this topic caught my eye and specifically this post. Spectacular!

:LOL:

*edit - huh? no pos rep in this forum? I'll have to dig up another post of yours then!*

Now that Melinda has been voted out I can safely conclude that this is a popularity contest not a talent contest. In that vein, I predict that Blake will win it. Though, if I was inclined to vote it would be for Jordan.

Back