AMD RV770 refresh -> RV790

i thinked that was broken, instead it is useless? :cry:
what an over hyped feature!

and do you think that an enanced version (bandwidth/latency/other) can be usefull, or they will keep or drop depending on the power budget?

and why they don't use old fast simple cheap HT3?
It would have proved much more useful in a situation like R680 where they were limited by the PCI-e1.1 PLX chip.

From half a dozen different threads on chiphell it appears the RV790 is in (or just about to enter) production. Is a 55GT version of the RV770. Guessing from the timeline cebit in march looks like a good date for the launch.
Quick update - have just heard amd is pulling out of cebit....just trying to find a link, for some reason companies dont seem to put out press releases about his kind of stuff ;)

The RV790 should still be ready about then, RV740 unknown time later.

Another RV790 sample was tested. In summary these samples were tested yet.

* 750/900 MHz @ 1.24 V
* 750/975 MHz @ 1.24 V
* 850/975 MHz @ 1.30 V

Source: Hardware-Infos

Last edited by a moderator:
Тhe 48** series were released back in June 2008. It is time for something new from our beloved company ATi. I think there is a delay.
I can not wait too.

@феликс: Коооо стаая бря пич? Нема ли да ми върнеш правата в нашийо форум? Поздрави.

Тhe 48** series were released back in June 2008. It is time for something new from our beloved company ATi. I think there is a delay.
I can not wait too.

@феликс: Коооо стаая бря пич? Нема ли да ми върнеш правата в нашийо форум? Поздрави.

both companys have to be carefull because they don't want any parts released now to compete with thier dx 11 parts down the road.

I bet the new ati cards will simply be faster clocked chips on 40nm for cost savings.

I can not wait too.

Yep, since the relative pasting the 4800's put on GT200's, ATI has done nothing but squander much of that. Now Nvidia has become faster at nearly every price level, taken back the overall crown etc. Nvidia has been very aggressive since initially with the core 216, 285, 295, as well as tons of factory overclocked models of all those. ATI has done nothing, and most ATI cards at retail continue to run stock only.

Like I say, the initial victory was all ATI's, but since then they've done nothing and become the ATI of old as usual seemingly. Conversely Nvidia was "dealt" a terrible hand this round but is maximizing it.

both companys have to be carefull because they don't want any parts released now to compete with thier dx 11 parts down the road.

I bet the new ati cards will simply be faster clocked chips on 40nm for cost savings.

I think there will be much more (like more SPs) than just increasing the frequencies....
They can release DirectX 11 parts right now instead of the 49** series, can't they? But I think these 5*** series will be much, much faster than the upcoming 49** series...
Do not forget that R870 probably is going to be the first real dual-core GPU. :oops:

Yep, since the relative pasting the 4800's put on GT200's, ATI has done nothing but squander much of that. Now Nvidia has become faster at nearly every price level, taken back the overall crown etc. Nvidia has been very aggressive since initially with the core 216, 285, 295, as well as tons of factory overclocked models of all those. ATI has done nothing, and most ATI cards at retail continue to run stock only.

Like I say, the initial victory was all ATI's, but since then they've done nothing and become the ATI of old as usual seemingly. Conversely Nvidia was "dealt" a terrible hand this round but is maximizing it.

If you think they've just been picking their noses ever since the release of the RV770, then you're really really really wrong...

I think there will be much more (like more SPs) than just increasing the frequencies....
They can release DirectX 11 parts right now instead of the 49** series, can't they? But I think these 5*** series will be much, much faster than the upcoming 49** series...
Do not forget that R870 probably is going to be the first real dual-core GPU. :oops:

Umm dx11 parts now, ...........

not really.:p

Dual core GPU, I think you are talking about MCM. RV770 otherwise has 10 cores already. :rolleyes:

Not exactly now but probably in March or April...
I meant "5800 X2 series (R870 dual core package shared memory via sideport)" and "5800 X4 series (R870 dual core package x 2 connected with PLX chip)".....

"Dual-core package" can be read as "multi- chip module", right?:???:

Not exactly now but probably in March or April...
I meant "5800 X2 series (R870 dual core package shared memory via sideport)" and "5800 X4 series (R870 dual core package x 2 connected with PLX chip)".....

"Dual-core package" can be read as "multi- chip module", right?:???:

well there are no dx 11 games right now and dx 11 isn't even out and wont be out till windows 7. So really your looking at clock speeds , rops , memory bandwidth and shaders to increase. However bandwidth is a big one right there as it will have an effect on a much larger array of games. If they go with extremely fast ram today in 6 months ram wont be that much faster and they will hit an impass.

If they however just die shrink the current gpus and clock them slightly higher , they will get more chips per wafer with better power draw characteristics adn be able to sell to a larger market as they reduce prices on tehse cards in comparison to the old line up

Back