6600gt not receiving sufficent power problem, please help.

ultragpu

Banned
hi, im having this annoying problem recently when i boot up pc. it comes out a message says: Nvidia sentinel detects that your video card is not receiving sufficient power supply. To be safe and to avoid hardware damage, it has downgraded your video cards performance to a safe level." i've checked that the extra molex connector is well plugged to the power supply and the card is sitting correctly on the mobo. ever since i got this error, i replaced my old 350w psu to a new 400w psu, yet i still get this error message. and when i swapped to a differnt 400w psu the problem remains. here's my pc spec:
p4 2.66ghz
RAM 512mb x 2 ddr333
80G hdd
P4PE mobo agp 4X
128mb 6600gt winfast
1 DVD rom and 1 CD writer
im pretty sure a 350w - 400w psu would serve my pc well as my friend who's using a faster pc than me wif a 6600gt also and runs fine on his 350w psu. now this problem usually happens when i first boot upo to windows and it doesnt show again after i reboot. weird. anyone please help me.

This sounds like your mobo doesn't deliver enough power over the bus. If you can, try another mobo.

Or the card's power section is damaged.

Also, check if the 12V socket on the card is damaged, could also be the cause of the problem.

well, im gonna send bac the card and swap for a new one. i think it might not be my psu problem since i already tried 3 different ones.
if my mobo doesnt deliver enough power over the bus but how come it gets through when i reboot? im just puzzled

If you're sure you have the power molex on the video card plugged in and you're still having issues with it not getting enough power, then either you're using cheap PSUs, the motherboard doesn't provide enough power, or the card is borked. Since you tried 3 different PSUs, can you try another motherboard? If not, then replace the card. If the replacement card doesn't work either, then you have two choices: replace the motherboard or PSU. I'm guessing it's your motherboard which is at issue.

Back