3rd hard disk in a row died

I would bet my money on the SATA controller or PSU, and I would suspect the SATA controller first, but the PSU is easier to test.

A broken HD controller is probably the most common motherboard faillure, and very hard to track. The only thing you see of it is random HD-related errors.

I would recommend swapping the PSU and distributing the load over the wires, and if that doesn't work to buy a new MB. If you use an AMD, you can have a good one for ~60 $, and for Intel ~100 $.

And if you buy, one, I would suggest an Asus one with a separate RAID controller chip. Better HD controller and good RAID at the same time.

Kiler could you list your system specs, I've come across wierd HD problems lately also, just wondering if it might be something else, and graphics card driver versions too.

This is what I have with the system that goes bonkers

ASUS AN8 32 SLi- Deluxe nf4 AMD 4800+
X-fi Fatality
7800 512

Everytime I use 90 release drivers, any of them so far, I get wierd issues with my HD, even after a fresh format, where Windows even in the middle of doing something just doesn't pick up the drive.

The problem doesn't show up immidiately after a fresh install of Windows and the drivers either, it takes a few hours, or sometimes days, but once its starts to appear, it gets more frequent as time goes on. Usually it will start BSODing with meaningless error codes usually machine_check_ exception errors.

The last time this happened to me told me something about the XFi drivers

Anyways the only way to get the HD recongnizable in Windows before I roll back drivers is to actually unplug any of the hard drive cables and plug it back in.

Once I roll back to the 80 release drivers, everything works fine though.

The other 2 systems I have, one with a 7800 512 in it and using 90 release drivers, is a EVGA sli motherboard (old one AMD 4800+) and works fine and the other with a 8800 gtx (evga motherboard, new one with the core duo), no problems at all.

So if anyone else has this kind of issue, buzz me or please post lol, its the wierdest thing, and I've talked with ASUS about it, and they don't know what to do other then RMA the motherboard, which isnt really the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those who said power supply. You guys get a reward.
I disconnected my giant slot fan.

Tried HOMM5 and emulated stuff and got perfect results.
Turned off PC completely from the power point.
Turned on, strangely my results were perfectly good.
This has NOT happened before. The problems always recoccurs after a system power down.

My problem first appeared when I one day decided to overclock my video card before playing HOMM5.
I assume if the video card requires more power, it will draw it?
My clocks (core,mem) went from (325,310) => (355, 325).

New PSU it is, let's just hope my problem doesn't come back after a new PSU and anymore after disconnecting my giant slot fan.

Back