3dfx just won't die!

Uttar said:
Why the 5800 and 5600? Stealing Spectre's naming system is a complete lack of originality IMO.
Not sure if that's been the motivation behind the numbering scheme. I like to think that the 5800 was a reaction to the competition's 9700, which was, in turn, a reaction to NVIDIA's 4600. I could be completely wrong here, of course :D

volt said:
God, why not use codenames instead? :LOL:

number or name based code names?

on PC hardware scene, codename hammer was used by 2 different companies. AFAIK Panther is also used by both Sun and Apple.

Palomino was originally corvette, but the chevrolet threated to sue them and it was changed to palomino.

there just are not enough "cool" name-based code names,
and many uncool, numeric ones are not suited for marketing ( bigger numbers should be faster )

hkultala said:
Palomino was originally corvette, but the chevrolet threated to sue them and it was changed to palomino.

Your kidding!
Last time I checked the word corvette was in use long before Chevrolet used it. It is damned cheeky to try and claim ownership of a word like that, especially when the other people trying to use it are completly unconnected with your business!

CC

cor·vette ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kôr-vt)
n.
A fast, lightly armed warship, smaller than a destroyer, often armed for antisubmarine operations.
An obsolete sailing warship, smaller than a frigate, usually armed with one tier of guns.

Captain Chickenpants said:
hkultala said:

Your kidding!
Last time I checked the word corvette was in use long before Chevrolet used it. It is damned cheeky to try and claim ownership of a word like that, especially when the other people trying to use it are completly unconnected with your business!

That's perfectly legitimate - take "Apple", "Penguin", or "Virgin" for example. All are registered trademarks and existed as words before the current TM owners. I think as long as the use is different to its original meaning you can register it.

hkultala said:
volt said:
God, why not use codenames instead? :LOL:

number or name based code names?

on PC hardware scene, codename hammer was used by 2 different companies. AFAIK Panther is also used by both Sun and Apple.

there just are not enough "cool" name-based code names,
and many uncool, numeric ones are not suited for marketing ( bigger numbers should be faster )

Was thinking of numbered ones. Though it may not bother me or a person right next to me, it may be uncanny for Joe Shmoe :)

Back